Monday, November 21, 2011

4th edition Necron showcase----Heavy

I was never a fan of any of the Destroyers, but still I bought two of the heavy version to try. I never had much success with them due to their cost, small squad size and "We'll be back!" range shenanigans. The idea of a mobile lascannon was neat, but not really as effective and efficient as one would think.


I was pretty happy with the Destroyer emerging from the ground. 


Now every Necron player probably has this thing in their arsenal, if not a few. The Monolith was a nigh unkillable beast. It was super killy, but it could take a beating. Well then people got wise and ignored it, like they should have.
I like this mostly for the deep strike option that was very drop pod-esqe. It also server as a nice troop teleporter. I never really killed much with it. It also only was destroyed once by a suped-up Carnifex with an axe to grind. It was immobilized a few times, but mostly it was ignored.

The crystal is currently in a state (long dormant) of repair after a horrible shoe on crystal accident.

It is a shame that this thing might never see the tabletop again. Even worse is the other Monolith I have that is a mere hour or two from completion. It is still in a closet and was awaiting a new codex. Well it got one and well, it looks it will stay in a state of disassembly until further notice.


Now the second unit to really shine when 5th edition hit, the Spyders. These things got a great upgrade with majority toughness. Have them make a swarm, and BOOM! you get a multi-wound toughness 6 unit. Nothing says awesome like a toughness 6 Scarab swarm.
I gave 3 of these guys guns, well not out of love for the upgrade, but because they where the only Spyders I could find. These guys disappeared for a while and by the time they resurfaced, I was onto another army.

Sure their BS at the time was bad, but having a 3 shot AP 3 gun doesn't suck, and it does annoy Astartes when they don't get a basic armor save. I guess these could function as particle gun upgrades now, a S6 AP 5 blast is not awful.

This was a great unit in 4th and 5th. They also  look to still be awesome in the newest codex. hopefully they get some descent model support, or a release and soon.

Well that is the end of my Necron force showcase. Now I'll need to really dig thorough the codex and see if I want to spend more cash to bring these guys up to par (well as up to par as I can get).

No comments:

Post a Comment