Saturday, August 20, 2011

Real World Interlude

Friday nite was the first of two trips to see Blink 182 on tour this year. They are currently touring with Manchester Orchestra and My Chemical Romance. It was in St. Louis at the Verizon Amphitheater. We, Manders and me, saw them at this same venue last year.




Last year Blink put on a stellar show and this year was no different. Well it was a tiny bit different. Last year was "a get back together after all our side jobs failed" tour. This year is a "we just finished an album" tour. Not only did we get the songs we know and love, but were treated to four  new songs of the coming album. Now when they played the new stuff it did kill the crowd energy a bit, since nobody knew the lyrics. However, the four they played all sounded good. Hell they sounded better than 90% of their last album (I refer to it as African Child).

They played a nice long set, one encore and another great Travis drum solo. He has easily risen to my favorite drum solo guy. Sure people say Lars and Tommy Lee, but Travis has them beat. I'm not a drum solo guy either, but he puts on one hell of a display.

As I said this was the first of two trips to see Blink this year. The next is in September at Verizon Wireless in Indy. Sure it will be almost, if not, the same set list, but I don't care. I had the chance to see these guys twice this year so I jumped at it.

Oh yeah, there were two other acts as well. Manchester Orchestra and My Chemical Romance. I can't say much about the first band. We got there about the time they were finishing their set. So I have no idea if they suck or not.

We did sit through My Chemical Romance or MCR as the kids call it. We made a few observations during their set. The first is that they are very popular with the teen crowd as most of their fans were 13-20 and girls. We also realized they aren't very good. Sure we only knew one song by them going into this show, and after it we have no want to know any of the songs we heard. I guess I would classify it as Tween Wave, like South Park did this year. Maybe we are "old" and jaded but the Chemical Romance just wasn't good. However, if you are a teen girl them you are obviously a huge fan.

The show ended and we capped the nite, after parking lot and exit shenanigans, with some Jack in the Box tacos. Why go to a burger joint for tacos? Because they rock! They're tasty  and cheap. Yeah they are probably Grade Q animal meat and mattress filler, but so is most fast food. The ride home blew and required a few more stops for caffeine, but we were back by 5:30 Saturday morning.

All-in-all a great show and a good Friday nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment