Monday, August 29, 2011

I love the smell of promethium in the morning!

After watching most of Apocalypse Now, I started thinking about the Imperial Guard.  I’m not thinking the typical Chimera Veterans, I’m thinking Air Calvary! The scenes in that movie with Robert Duvall are great and that is the inspiration for this list.
"We use Wagner. It scares the shit out of the orcs. My boys love it!"
I’ll build to my typical 1500 point limit as that is what we like to play at. I’ll need an HQ and a one that is befitting Colonel Kilgore (Robert Duvall’s character). A Lord Commissar should fit the role, it is also a nice cheap HQ, and this gives me more points for the meat of the list.

"THRAKA DON'T SURF!"
Vendettas will be the helicopters for this force. I’ll take four, two squads of two each. Who doesn’t love the three twin-linked lascannons on a fast skimmer? It might be over kill, but for the same points I could have Valkyries with rocket pods and multi-laser, but I’ll take the S9 and twin-linked over S4 large blasts. If only these had a viable napalm option.





Now I’ll need guys to ride in these and four Veterans Squads should fit the force. I’ll run two squads with three melta guns, which seems a standard load-out. The a squad with three plasma guns (I usually hate plasma, but rapid firing three after deploying could be fun or painful). The last squad will have two flamers and a heavy flamer. This is a nice low threat unit, but also capable of putting a descent amount of wounds on a squad with three templates. Plus I’ll give them all shotguns to add to the coolness factor. This should leave me with 495 points left.
I’ll add some Storm Troopers. Why? Well they can deep strike and with Airborne Assault they can re-roll their scatter dice. A great ability and fitting for an airborne strike force. A few squads of them, three should do. I’ll give them two melta guns per squad and keep them at five men. These, hopefully, can deep strike in and melta vehicles that the Vendettas failed to wreck. They could also deep strike into oblivion, but that is the chance you take.  This gives me 170 points left.
I like backfield unit for objective holding or what-have-you, so I’ll add some more Veterans to the list. I’ll add Harker so the squad gets stealth and his heavy bolter. I guess for a few extra points I’ll give the squad a heavy bolter. That will give some nice S5 shots to go down range and annoy the enemy. I can stick them in cover and let them do stuff. How are they air cav? Well I would say they are forward spotters for the force. They call in the targets for the Storm Troopers to drop on or for the Vendettas to lascannon to bits.
HQ- Lord Commissar
Troop- Veterans x10, shotguns, melta gun x3
Troop- Veterans x10, shotguns, melta gun x3
Troop- Veterans x10, shotguns, plasma gun x3
Troop- Veterans x10, shotguns, flamer x2, heavy flamer
Troop- Veterans x10, shotguns, Harker, heavy bolter
Fast- Vendetta x2
Fast- Vendetta x2
Elite- Storm Trooper x5, melta gun x2
Elite- Storm Trooper x5, melta gun x2
Elite- Storm Trooper x5, melta gun x2
POINTS 1465
This leaves me a few points like 35. So somebody gets a powerfist and the Commissar gets a power sword. Why? Why not? I hate S 3 power weapons, but I’d rather have that then melta bombs. I hate melta bombs almost as much though. Needing a 6 (or best a 4+) to get these to work is insanely difficult for me. Plus if I can’t get through vehicles with all this melta and lascannon stuff, then that vehicle deserves to survive. Those two options will drive this list to 1500 points exactly!
I know this is just another in a line of wish lists for armies, but damn it is fun to do.

2 comments:

  1. You should look into Imperial Armor 8 from Forgeworld. It's got the Elysian list in it, which would allow you to do a much more playable air cav force. I tried it myself with codex IG and was never happy with it as I needed to squadron up all of my transports. In the Elysian list, Valkyrie are dedicated transports. at 1,750 points this allows me to run 3 valks and 2 vendettas without having anything in a squadron.

    I did a full review in something like 8 parts over on my blog and House of Paincakes of the Elysian list if you want to check it out. The review starts at the url below and you can easily find the rest if you just click the "imperial guard" tag at the bottom of the post. You'll also see that I love apocalypse now as well :)

    http://www.houseofpaincakes.com/2010/11/dethtrons-imperial-armour-volume-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured since most people just have the regular books I'd build from that.

    Thanx for the url stuff. I'll give it read.

    ReplyDelete