Saturday, June 30, 2012

The king is dead. Long live the king.

Good bye my favorite edition.
Today we all say goodbye to 5th edition 40K. This was my favorite edition so far. I wanted to say a few good byes to the stuff I'll miss. This coming from all the way back from 4th through 5th, and I know some of this stuff may be in the new edition.



Good bye 4+ cover saves everywhere.
Good bye wound allocation.
Good bye True Line of Sight.
Good bye scattering blast templates.
Good bye nigh-unkillable vehicles.
Good bye Feel No Pain.
Good bye to hitting vehicle rear armor in close combat.
Good bye fast skimmers and the limit to weapons that could shoot.
Good bye Perils of the Warp granting an invulnerable save.
Good bye combat resoluton.
Id' wish sweeping advances a fond farewell, but who didn't play Marines or fearless armies and mostly negate this rule?


A few things also I'll give a fond good riddance to as well.

Good riddance to multi wound and multi gear model shenanigans (thankfully I only ever faced this once and it was incredibly irritating)
Good riddance to shooting/wounding models that cannot be seen.
Good riddance to 4+ cover save everywhere (the double edged sword rule).
Good riddance to firing out of area terrain while negating cover, but still gaining cover.
Good riddance to nigh-unkillable vehicles (another double edged sword).
Good riddance to Capture and Control with Pitched Battle deployment (seems that is the main mission I played)

I look ever forward to a change and hope to find a game of this new upstart 6th edition. However, I'll always have a fondness for 5th edition 40K. I miss you already old friend.

1 comment: