Monday, June 4, 2012

Drop pod army dream


The Star Phantoms broadly conform to the standards laid down in the Codex Astartes, but has displayed a marked preference for first strike tactics, exemplified by drop pod assaults. The Chapter also seemed to prefer long ranged bombardment using heavy weaponry over the chaos of melee, though is capable of the latter when tactically expedient to do so. For the battle-brother of the Chapter no one mode of combat holds more glory than the other; all that matters is that their enemy is disposed of.
The Chapter's armory maintains an abundance of Plasma and Melta-based weaponry, and indeed it is a mark of honor among the Chapter's leaders to go into battle using a combi-plasma or combi-melta wrought by the Chapter's Techmarines.

That was all extracted from the Forge World Badbab War Book. I thought they would make a great fully drop pod army. Sure there is some stuff about heavy weapons in there, but nuts to that. I'm going all pods all the time! Plus they have a nice Star Wars Stormtrooper look, which isn't a terrible aesthetic either.


Now what parent codex to use. I looked at Space Marines and didn't like the costs. I then turned to Blood Angels and they didn't seem like the right fit either. I ended up on Space Wolves. They can bring the small squads I want and the assault weapons on the super cheap and without losing close combat attacks. So, a counts as army (many people cringe at that term) of Star Phantoms it will be.

HQ as always will be cheap for  me. I think a captain with a pair of lightning claws should do. The re-roll they get to hit and/or wound is good fun. It is also cheap and has descent killy potential.

Now troops will be an easy choice as Blood Claws  suck for the cost. A pair of Hunter squads will do. I'll use one 10 man squad with dual flamers and a drop pod. The second will be a 10 man squad with a melta gun and plasma gun (free!). I usually abhor plasma since I have a huge record of my own guys killed over every enemy I have ever faced. Still it fits with the Star Phantoms, so I'll add some plasma here. That leaves 1015 left to spend.

Well now comes the repetition part of the army. A few more squads of troops, lets say four. A full compliment of six troops. Hunter squads of 6 with a drop pod and a melta gun. Yeah that build x4. This gives me ample scoring units and hopefully enough melta for the world of 5th and it's many transports. Well with those choice out of the way, I still have 495 points left for more marines falling form the sky.

Those four 6 man squads need a little extra oomph. A squad of four Wolf Guard with power fists seem acceptable. They can be assigned to each squad pre-drop. They have two base attacks, and so should get at least one power fist hit in when punching stuff. 343 points left to deal with.

My HQ needs a semi-command group. I'll give him a "bodyguard" of 5 Wolf Guard in a drop pod. I'll even throw in a power fist and a frost weapon (will serve as semi-relic blade). These bodies and the captain will make a nice close combat squad. That is if they survive long enough after a turn with post-pod syndrome (or standing there for a turn getting shot). 178 points to spare.

Sternguard Vets or shooty veterans, every chapter needs some right? Well the Wolves don't have them, but I can cobble some together. A unit of 5 Guard with combi-weapons and a drop pod should fill the role of quasi-Sternguard. I'll go for combi-plasma guns to fit the theme of the Star Phantoms. This goes against my better judgement, but 10 plasma gun shots (in the sweet spot range) is hard to sneeze at. Especially, when they are only 5 points a combi-weapon. A whole 28 points left to spend!

Well then some squad gets a power weapon, maybe the twin flamer squad. They need a little extra and since their assault weapons are free why not give them a power weapon? It gives them a little threat to whatever is alive after they set it aflame.

Finally, the captain will get a wolf necklace. That will guarantee he always hits on a 3+ in close combat. I can say he has specially made lightning claws and that covers the buff to hit. Since these are not Wolves, there will have to be a few tweaks to names and descriptions. That should give me an entire 3 points left. I could give a Guard a storm bolter, but why? I'll just eat those 3 points.

HQ-Captain lightning (wolf) claws, wolf necklace 120
ELITE- Guard x 5 power fist, frost (relic) weapon drop pod 165
ELITE- Guard x5 combi-plasma x5 drop pod 150
ELITE- Guard x4 power fist x4 152
TROOP- Hunter x10 flamer x2  power weapon drop pod 200
TROOP- Hunter x10 melta gun plasma gun drop pod 190
TROOP- Hunter x6 melta gun drop pod 130
TROOP- Hunter x6 melta gun drop pod 130
TROOP- Hunter x6 melta gun drop pod 130
TROOP- Hunter x6 melta gun drop pod 130

1497 POINTS

This will give me four drop pods turn one and then it becomes a waiting game after that. Having a demon army already a drop pod army isn't that much of a stretch to play. It might even be better since you have that scatter reduction and a much smaller chance of mishapping. The play style isn't the issue with this list. The issue is all that white paint, or off white paint. Well there is also the want to buy 50-ish marines, bits and pods. I would have to figure out what to call all the Space Wolf specific stuff to make it non-lupine.

There is just something about power armored guys falling from space in little metal boxes that I find appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment