Tuesday, January 25, 2011

In response.....

I posted last week about the lack of a 40K event @ Winter War 38. Now I think people got the wrong idea. I am/was trying to get someone to stand up and take some initiative. I think people have missed the point. I'd like to respond to one such person now.

A comment left on the post. My responses are in red.

As the owner of one of the "called out" game stores (Armored Gopher Games), let me clear up some things that you to not know.

1) There was a falling out between the Dragon's Table and the organizers of Winter War. He has not attended the convention since that time. Yelling at him will do you no good.

I am not yelling at store owners. I am talking to players. Most gamers are a tad lazy, like to procrastinate, or have others set things up for them. It is true look, just at most RPG's for instance. There are usually an abundance of gamers, but only a few people who run the games. This can be said for many other games. There are usually way too many gamers and not enough game masters.

This is why we have game conventions and not game master conventions is it not? Most of the gaming population is lazy when it comes to gaming. Why are there so many unpainted 40K armies out there? Think about it. It easy to buy and build. It takes some time to paint it all.
We are a lazy lot when it comes to gaming stuff.

I am simply trying to get someone who plays 40K to try and get a game going. There are ample players in the area, as I'm told, why should only 1 guy try and run a game?


2) PC Fortress in Danville shut its doors at the end of 2010.

I was not aware, but still that means there are gamers East of Champaign/ Urbana and they need a place to play, and who says they can't organize something. Get motivated Danville!

3) The gentleman who organizes our 40K league got promoted at work and will be working all of that weekend. He had submitted a 40K event and had to pull it due to this. We are already scrambling enough by attending the convention and running a Magic: the Gathering Pre-Release Tournament at the store on the same weekend. We have not had time to set anything up cover the original event. Translation: We thought we had it covered until real life stepped in.

That is fine, but why only him? Isn't there anyone else at your store that can run some games? There are several 40K players every Monday nite I'm told. Why must there be only one run a game/ tournament?

Finally... I don't believe I've ever met you. Have you ever stepped foot in my store? If so, remind me who you are. If not, I'd love to actually meet the man who's slagging me from behind a keyboard.

Honestly I have never stopped by your store.A few years ago I tried several times and it was never open. There maybe new leadership now and that is good for the store and people who play there.

I'm not slagging you! This is not a personal attack on "Gopher Dave." It is a call to get gamers, hell even just one gamer, motivated to do something. It isn't even an attack on your store. Read the post again. There is nothing bad about you or your store. Please show me one slanderous remark made against you or your store.


As for being a lazy gamer, you are going to work this weekend. So am I.

With the convention and the M:tG Tourney, I'll be making about $5,000 this weekend, and working over 36 hours.
Can you say the same?
Congratulations, I don't care, and that was completely not the point of the post. I don't need to know why you can't attend, but thanks for sharing.

I am not concerned with either of those things.You are busy. I never said you had to run a game. Read the post again. I'm calling out 40K gamers to get motivated. I never said anything about you having to run a game. There are 40K gamers play at your store correct? They also play in the other store and with in the area. I was "yelling" at them, and that was the point.

Think about it. Why must only 1 guy be able to run a game? I was hoping someone else would hear the call.

Sadly it seems nobody did and all I got was some store owner angry that I slighted him in some way.

There is a difference between motivation and personal attacks. I was doing the prior.

I was hoping for this...

"Hey Gopher Dave (or some other guy) I am interested in running a 40K game at Winter War. Can you help me with that?" says local gamer.

"Why sure! I think we can get something going. Better yet talk to (fill in blank) he has some ideas or wants to run a game."

"Gee thanks mister!" as local gamer runs to find (fill in blank name).

That scenario (or something like it) was what I was hoping for. It didn't happen.

4 comments:

  1. The perfect example here is the comparison of gamers vs GMs. Most gamers are lazy - I used to run a larp, and could rarely even get people to write a paragraph or so about who their character is.

    Plus, gotta say, store owner that freaks out in comments and tells you to meet him in person - doesn't exactly instill a safe feeling of "I want to meet that guy on his turf"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quotes from Ian...

    "The bad news is there is still zero 40k events there. Heck there isn't even a Privateer or Warhammer Fantasy event. Sure there might not be much local interest in Fantasy or Warmachine/ Hordes, but I am told there is a 40K presence in Champaign/ Urbana. I believe there are two gamie stores that run 40K games. Why is neither one running a 40K event. Both places have gamers. Both places must have suitable terrain for multiple tables. Both places can drum up some sort of prize support. Why is neither place doing anything?"

    "Where is the initiative people? Why are you wasting a chance like this? I'm calling out the Dragon's Table, the Armored Gopher, and Fortress Games. All of you have 40K players! Stop being the lazy gamers and get something going! You have 8 days! Prove that there is a gaming community and it just isn't in "your" store."

    Response...

    When you post statements like this, Ian, you most certainly ARE calling out specific game stores, their owners and their communities. In the first paragraph I quoted from your original post you posted your belief that there are two game stores in C-U, but you were incredulous that neither one of us was running/sponsoring a 40K event.

    In your response here, you said you never slagged me personally. You're wrong. When you "call out" my store, you're calling me out. You are attempting to devalue the work and effort I put into this place, and the community we are trying to build here. A coummunity that you have been invited (by one of our regulars) to come play in, but have never taken him up on that offer.

    The scenario you posted (and hoped for) at the end would have been ideal, but it has not happened outside of our one main organizer, who had to pull out. We can't sponsor what no one is willing to run. That point, at least, you seem to acknowledge and agree with.

    It also may have been your *INTENTION* to call out 40K gamers and not store owners, as you say, but based upon what you wrote in your original post, it was indeed the store owners who got called out.

    As it stands... Yes, I am a bit angry that someone who has never met me is dogging me out.

    Be that as it may, there's nothing stopping you from coming to Armored Gopher Games on a Monday and hagning with us for 40K night except... you. You're more than welcome to. Heck you might even find it fun. =)

    But there is a right way and a wrong way to engender spirited debate. You chose to do so in an antagonisitic and confrontational manner, but then you act surprised when *YOUR* antagonism and confrontationalism is met with the some of the same.

    As for the "lazy gamer" portion of your post, you'd say you would run an event BUT you have to work and what not...

    That right there fits right into the definition lazy sideline gamer. You know, the ones responsible for scenarios like...

    Angry Gamer: "Why... It's an outrage that MY FAVORITE GAME isn't being run at INSERT RANDOM EVENT!!! That's crap! Why can't someone get off their lazy a** and make that happen!!!"

    Other, More Rational Gamer: "You could do it..."

    Angry Gamer: "Well... I would, except I have to (work, wash my car, watch paint dry, colon cleanse my dog, other lame/bizzare excuse)..."

    Now, before you come back with "work" not being a lame excuse, in this case, it is. You are calling out other 40K players for not running 40K games at an event you have no intention/ability to attend. With that in mind, how does there not being a 40K event at Winter War (or any other convention) hurt you personally?

    Why do you feel the need to rail on about it and gnash your teeth in seething frustration and anger?

    Generally more curious now, and less angry...

    GopherDave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gopher Dave, if he is actually a store owner seems to be a very myopic one. In the case of gaming and especially brick and mortar stores a small business owner should never go out of his/her way to alienate the very people he wants to frequent his/her business.

    As someone who regularly advises small business owners I would suggest that you carefully censor your comments before you rage at someone that could be a good potential client and has a window that other potential clients might read.

    You have a brand to protect and overly negative comments could directly impact that brand and could people visiting your store.

    I would advise you to visit your local chamber of commerce and see if they offer some seminars on how to create and maintain a positive and inviting online presence.

    According to the post above there are plenty of other gaming stores in your area. Why give people and excuse to go somewhere other then yours?

    This is just some advice that is well meant and freely given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lewisiv...

    I appreciate the advice, unsolicited thought it may be. However, I do find the "if he is actually a store owner" comment a touch uncalled for. If I wasn't a store owner, why would I be here defending my store? Why would I even care?
    If you want confirmation of my existance, check out our web site (http://www.armored-gopher.com) or our Facebook page. There's more than a little evidence there to confirm I am whit I claim to be.

    Lewisiv, you also warn me about censoring comments before raging, while Dave/3++ thinks he would feel unsafe meeting me on "my turf".

    Honestly, both comments remind me of a common grade school situation, where someone keeps bullying a kid who's minding his own business. The bullies are doing it juuusssttt out of view of the teachers and supervisors, so no one sees it happening, and no one will listen to him when he tells them about the issue. Finally, the original victim can't take it anymore, lashes back at his tormentors, and gets busted with a three-day suspension for "violent behavior".

    I did not come here looking for a fight. I honestly did not know about Ian and his Quarantine World blog until one of our regulars pointed out his initial comments to me.

    I came here to REPOND to a person (Ian) whom I've NEVER MET (by his own admission) that harped on a store and commnuity with which he has never interacted (again, by his own admission).

    Was I brusque about it? Admittedly, yes.

    Angry? A touch...

    Defensive? Well, yes... Because I was DEFENDING something that is pretty special to me and more than a few others.

    If defending what you love and care about is a crime, lock me up and ditch the key. I'll eventually break out to do it again when I feel it's necessary. =)

    Honestly, none of you have ever met me. If you ask anyone who knows me personally, they'll pretty much say that I'm a friendly and jovial person, who's extremely passionate about who I am and what I do.

    "Passion", not "myopathy" (is that even a word?) is where our viewpoints differ here.

    My wife and I (along with a great community of customers and friends) acquired a store that was barely sustaining itself, and we have built it into A thriving business that we feel is worthwhile and valuable to our local gaming community. We have put more than a little effort into the place, and we're proud of what we have accomplished. It's a place and a community that I will PASSIONATELY defend against all slings and arrows.

    As it goes, Ian, and anybody else who reads this blog is more than welcome to come visit us at Armored Gopher Games. Hang out... play a game or two with our crowd and get to know us... Heck, I'll even buy you a soda if you like.

    If you like what you find, fantastic! We'll all have made new friends. If you're not comfortable with our store and our atmosphere... well, at least you gave us a chance, and that's all we can ask for.

    peace... GopherDave

    ReplyDelete