Monday, May 14, 2012

Roller Derby saturday!

This weekend we finally were able to go watch some roller derby hosted by The Mclean County MissFits. There is a small local grassroots league and they have matches monthly. I am usually working or something so we miss them. Saturday night was a couple of matches and my calendar was open. Well actually I think we were supposed to game, but I totally blanked on that. Guess that is why my calendar was open huh?
Well it wasn't quite like this, but you get the idea.

It was also a charity event which was fine. I usually only donate money to sick kids, animal shelters and cheerleader car washes; however, I made an exception. It was for Relay for Life and that covers the kids bit so no problem there. Hell we would have gone anyway.
Its roller derby and what is not to like? I love the ladies and even better are ladies bashing other ladies on skates! Now they lack the super cool track with the incline and rail, but they have a marked rink and that seemed to work fine. There were plenty of collisions, elbows and some stellar take downs. There was a descent energy and the crowd was pretty involved. The crowd was also a really wyrd mix. It was a veritable melting pot of people, looks, classes, personalities etc. Best of all were the skaters and some of their names. They ranged from simple word play to intricate persona's.
Some of the favorite names:
Krystallica
General Splatton
Charlapayne
Bruiz E. Homemaker
Machete Crocker
Double Painbow
Joan Wayne Gacy (complete with identical clown make-up)
Amnda-tory Suicide (a favorite of my companion)
There were more, but these were some of the stand outs for us.
It was a riot to see actual live roller derby. I haven’t seen it for 10+ years and that was televised. Hopefully, they can continue this and get more than just a small following. It would be awesome to have a full time roller derby league in the area. I’d support that more than the local hockey team (and I loves me some hockey!). A great time and it actually helped a cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment