Wednesday, May 16, 2012

One day, sort of, into Diablo III


Well after a day of Diablo III, along with a nap during server shutdowns, I have only good things to say about this game. Granted I am a bit biased since I love the franchise. Still if this is a stinker I would call it that.


 
I ran through all the characters for a few levels and have differing thoughts on all of them. I did finally focus my short attention span on one...the Witch Doctor.

A crazy voice, shrunken heads, tribal masks, poison and zombies...I'm sold!

After the beta test, I was a bit hot and cold with this class. After the last day I am digging the hell out of it! I am a complete creature of habit and I am aware of this. A class that can summon zombie creatures, throw jars of spiders, or better yet throw exploding frogs, drain life to gain intelligence, throw exploding skulls, unleash a torrent of flaming bats and my favorite so far....call forth grasping zombie arms to slow the enemy. Yeah there is so much there that is wyrd not to like. Much like the Necromancer from Diablo II I like the wyrd stuff. The fact she talks like Tia Dalma from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and carries a shrunken head as an off-hand weapon doesn't hurt either.

Now the other classes aren't bad. The Barbarian is what it always is a bruiser. The Wizard is a ranged death dealer. The Demon Hunter is a run-and-gunner.The Monk is a nice melee beater (with a Russia meets Air Bender flair) and is probably my second favorite class.

The game itself is just full of great imagery, locales, the usual monsters (both old favs and the ones we all hate), thematic music, great visual effects and so far a descent story for why the Prime Evils are up to no good again. I'm only like 20-odd levels in and already. Hell I'm in the desert and I loathed the desert before, this time, it is a bit of alright.

The developers seem to have taken the bad out and just left good. The hundreds of health and mana potions you needed to carry are no longer. The skill tree is gone and replaced with a nonsense selection of powers and abilities. The fighting/ running to get the loot first is no more. No more Haradric Cube! The random events per map/level are pretty awesome. Yeah the developers seem to have (so far) gotten it right.

Now there are two minors, but they are barley worth mentioning, just irritations more than anything. I care not for achievements, auction houses and player vs. player. These are all part of the game (and one if not all are in pretty much every game made forever and ever now). I can and will ignore them, so like I said they are not really worth mentioning. Still they are there and it is Blizzard thing so, yeah it is what it is.

Now if I didn't have to work I'd have more to review, but now my weekday time is limited so this is all I have for now. I don't think this game will get worse. There might be the odd level or area that is painfully bad or long, but that is not enough to sully the game.

Now back to the game! Good bye normal life. Hello again Diablo!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I guess I have always wanted to replay Diablo 2 with better graphics. Now I can! So what has blizzard been doing for ten years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a real punch to the gut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad that it's essentially the same. First board is around Tristram you say? 2nd board is in the desert including sewers and a wizard lair? It all seems vaguely familiar.

    I am not in act three but it can't possibly be in a swamp or jungle setting. That would be down right silly!

    Servers are down again? It makes me question why I need to be connected to play.

    ReplyDelete