Monday, April 2, 2012

Forced myself through X-Men 1st Class

I am a ridiculous Marvel fanboy. I have and will probably always be one. The X-Men being my favorites in the Marvel universe.That said I passed on X-men First Class when it hit the theaters. Why? Well with the horrid X-men 3 and the equally vomit inducing Wolverine Origins, I became disenfranchised with my merry mutants movies (alliteration is awesome).

With a free Cinemax weekend I say that X-men First Class was on, well since it was essentially free I forced myself to watch it. Needless to say once it was over, I was mad at myself for watching it.

A quick disclaimer.....if you know nothing or very little of the X-men then you will and probably did like this film.

I figure I'll save the review since most people have seen this already. I'll just cover what I think the hits and misses of the film were, or the stuff I liked and nerd raged about.

The Good Stuff

The Xavier/ Eric Lehnserr dynamic was good. They played off each other very well.

If this was a stand alone about the characters of Professor X and Magneto it would have been a much better film.

It had a nice 60's look and did alright as a "period" piece.



The Bad or my comic rage

This was supposed to be the first class of the X-men and sadly there is only one member represented, Beast.
This was a 60's period piece so why introduce Darwin a character from 2006?

The same for Angel (the fly winged girl) who appeared in 2001. Why?

The poor use of the Hellfire Club, then again there really isn't a use for the Hellfire Club. However, if you are going to try and use them then why add Riptide and Azazel? These guys were never in the group. Boo all of that nonsense!

Mystique is the "pet" of Charles Xavier? What is that about? He grows up and semi-raises her for some reason?

Moria Mactaggert is an American C.I.A. operative. Strange. I always thought she was a Scottish geneticist and is an expert in mutant affairs. What the frack was that about?

Oliver Platt!?!?! Why are you here? Get off my television screen!

If I had to see James Mcavoy do this......
....one more time I would have lost my mind! A new drinking game has begun. Drink when Professor X touches his temple! Your wasted in the first reel!

The use of Havok, the brother to the X-man Cyclops. So...Scott Summers would be pushing 80 in the original X-men films ( or would he only be in his late 40"s thanks to the Wolverine film)? Sure they don't mention this, but Alex is the younger brother. Thus establishing his age sort of and adding more question to the Summer's movie family timeline and tree.

Also speaking of age conundrums, Emma Frost was a teen in Wolverine Origins, and here she is a fully chestified adult. How did she reverse her age and begin wearing something besides underpants in another movie?

The flying fight between Banshee and Angel (female fly) looked horrible. The CGI budget was obliviously spent on all the Magneto stuff.

The same can be said of CGI diamond when Emma Frost changes. It looks terrible. Hollywood stop trying that effect. It doesn't work.

There are some monumentally bad lines dealing with mutant pride, believing in yourself and such. Sure that is all well and good, but it adds a level of cheesey irritation.

Emma Frost blocking Professor X's mind......bitch please!


Yeah it may seem like a petty list of complaints, but as an X-men hardcore and general movie fan, these were pretty big. I did treat myself to ice cream for sitting through this movie. I think it was deserved after what I went through. A suitable reward for the punishment I put myself through.

X-men First Class was actually as awful as I thought it would be. I'm just wish I have continued to pass on it. I could have done anything else with that 2 hours and whatever extra minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, brother! Marvel seem out to destroy my childhood the same way the Games Workshop have it in for my bank balance!!
    I only managed to get about half way through this stinking cesspit before boredom and disappointment took over and saw me gouge out my own eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly the mutant movies are falling by the way side. The Avenger character movies are all pretty descent though. it is a sad time to be and X-men fan and a great time to be an Avenger fan. As always it is and will always be a bad time to be a Fantastic Four fan.

    ReplyDelete