Friday, August 22, 2014

The Doctor is in?


Well tomorrow starts the new season of Doctor Who. I’m a bit of a mix about it.

Creeper Doctor?

Peter Capaldi is a question mark and once again we have no clue about what he will bring to the show. Will he be intense? Will he be the cryptic Doctor? Will he be whimsical? A stoic Doctor? Will he be a mess until the writers and actor can get a handle on the character? Will it matter if the stories surrounding him are drek? I have no damn idea, just like everyone else. I do know one thing and that is this.

Matt Smith is gone and I’m not unhappy.




I didn’t dislike his 11th (or  is it 12th )Doctor. I just really disliked his stories. There were very few episodes that I thought stood out as great during his run. His companion was also a bother. I did not and still do not like the character of Amy Pond. I get that the companion is how we are supposed to tie ourselves to this character of the Doctor. The companion is also supposed to be the story a lot of the time. Blah, blah, blah. I get that. However, what happens when you find the companion and said stories surrounding drek? Well then it goes that you are less than impressed and ready to bail on the Doctor. Once Amy Pond was gone I found the show a bit better and it gave me some hope.

Matt Smith wasn’t a bad Doctor Who. He did the best with what he was given. I didn’t hate him. I was just underwhelmed by what they did with his character.

Now I know that his run did bring in a lot of attention and a younger demographic. Gen Con during his time was chock full of Matt Smith Doctor Who cosplayers. If it goes that way in middle America then I can only image that it was that way everywhere else. Doctor Who needed young blood to bring in young blood. However, will that continue? The new Doctor looks ancient when compared to the last three (minus John Hurt in the Day of the Doctor). Will this turn away viewers? Will the younger crowd shy away because Doctor Who is just another bossy parent, or worse a parental figure trying to be cool and hip? Is there anything worse than someone aging as still trying to be cool? Besides terrorists nope.


I guess we will all find out over the next few months. Here is to the 13th or is it 12th new  Doctor Who. Don’t botch it fellas.

1 comment:

  1. I'd agree that the who Matt Smith/Karen Gillan was rather lame. Both come off so inoffensive that it was hard to like or dislike them. Love'm or hate'm the later doctors and side-kicks had much more personality.

    I have high hopes for the new 'darker' doctor.

    ReplyDelete