Sunday, April 7, 2013

The new Evil Dead

 
 
A quick bit of annoying business.....
 
I love the low budget goodness of the original Evil Dead and rebooted movies always seem to fail especially horror (Nightmare, Friday, Chainsaw, and Halloween remakes are all drek).
People out there ,outside of the "know", this is not a reboot of Evil Dead 2, the movie most people have heard of and hopefully have seen. Please stop the comparisons to both.
I am not a fan of the writing of Diablo Cody. I have watched two films that she wrote for and was not impressed. I thought Juno was just pretentious and insipid. I'll not even mention the other film as it was even worse.
I have never seen anything by this director before
Sam Rami and Bruce Campbell produced this film. Why reboot it though?
 
So, I was a bit apprehensive about going into this film.
 
What  was the outcome?
 
 


 
Well it wasn't awful.  
 
A bit of a misnomer, but that is studio P.R.
Actually, for a reboot it was fun and very gory. It was billed as scary, but face it people what is really scary about Hollywood horror? Not much. However, it was gory and disturbing and that was awesome! We are talking buckets of blood, dismemberment, face flaying, multiple stabbing, creepy cutting, appendage twitching,bone cracking, various gouging, creepy eyes, great gross sound effects, fire etc. I loved those parts of the movie! There are some really creepy scenes that are disturbing, but not like jumping scary.

Now the characters are bland and forgettable, but who cares? They are meat and you should know that going into this film. This is a horror movie not some Oscar nod film. Do we really need character development and extensive exposition? Nah! They are there to try and survive and die off in wonderful ways.

The plot is meh, but once again it is horror movie, the plot is watching how the meat survive or fail. If you care it is a bit of friendly drug rehab weekend at an old family cabin. A cabin that was used to banish a demon in the past. There is a human skin bound book with the demon ritual stuff in it (the Necronomicon!) that comes into play. There is some demon possession and then then awesome stuff happens!

I walked in sure apprehensive, and walked out decently happy. Yup it was an unnecessary reboot, but it was a fun reboot. Sure it will be panned by most, and confused with the campy fun of Evil Dead 2; but for my money it was worth it. It also helps that I'm sick and twisted and love the disturbing grossness of it all! So, this reboot gets an better than ok from me. It also can be added to my short list of appropriate cabin based horror films (Cabin Fever and Cabin in the Woods being the others).





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for following me over to Signal Jammer! Ian - it was a surprise to see I gained a follower when I logged in today! I haven't been very good at keeping up with blogs these days - but I just saw you gave your thoughts the new Evil Dead - and I'm happy to see that you give it passing marks.

    I was meaning to check it out despite my own reservations - it has been getting surprisingly good marks for a remake (which I agree most have been nice imitations at times but mostly drek) - maybe your thoughts will finally get me into the theater for this one.

    Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say "hey" and "thanks" and "waffle" (as long as I'm stopping by to say stuff - might as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally missed you leaving for your new site, but glad to see you are still up and going. I'll keep following if you keep posting!

    Re-make Evil Dead is fun. Good bloody bloody fun!

    ReplyDelete