Thursday, July 26, 2012

Watched a game of 6th 40K

Tuesday night I watched my first game of 6th edition 40K. It didn't look too awful either. It was a casual game of Guard vs. Tyranids at 1500 points. It was a diagonal set-up with 4 objectives of the random mystery variety.

What did I glean from this game? Well.............



  • Overwatch shots from big squads can be irritating.
  • Multiple flamers (and hot rolls) make for a lot of free hits when Overwatch is activated.
  • Flying monsters are a pain, but have to test to fall out of the sky if they are even hit. So, even without wounding it a "swooping" monster can still be grounded.
  • Mysterious objectives are dumb. 
    • Hull Points are not that awful, especially with armor 12 front facing.
  • Hull Points are also great if you have a lot of vehicles and the opponent has only a few guns with strength 6-8.
  • Assault is weird with the whole pile -in during initiative steps. It just looks a bit weird, but works pretty much like always, just 3" pile-in is a lot worse than 6".
  • "Look Out Sir!" sucks if you really want to kill that unit upgrade or character.

    Other than this stuff there wasn't a big difference in the game play. The crazy rules didn't happen: Focus Fire, Challenges, Hammer o' Wrath, Precision Hits, etc. I think in a few weeks I might even give this edition a try. It will probably be my Night Lords, since they are done and my Necrons are nowhere near where I want them to be. So, a possible return to the 40K tabletop after what seems an eternity.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment