Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An unneed break from 40K

Over a week ago after, being drummed in 40K, we went out for foods and such. I was brought to my attention Dynasty Warriors 7, a long favorite of our gaming clan, was out. Well we were told it was to come out the following week. So as I sat waiting for bits to finish another five man squad, I ran out and picked up Dynasty Warriors 7 on Saturday. I wish I had not.

I'm so angry and yet so incredibly pretty!

Now this game is a very polarizing in the video game world. There are rabid lovers and haters of this game, and many who know nothing of it. I am one of those people who love it. This game is button mashing at its finest. It once again, as they all do, it covers the unification of China. You play one of the numerous characters/ people of that time and fight your way through the three kingdoms. I was a fan of the Three Kingdoms strategy/ world builder games. I then became a fan of the button mashing beat’em up version.

So far it is no better or worse than the last version. The story mode takes you through the different factions; Wei, Wu, Shu and Jin. The conquest mode lets you fight through all of China as the officer of your choosing (a sort of open mode mode like the previous games, with a few twists). There is the option to swap out your characters main weapon for another which is new, but it just gives you the move set of another character armed with same weapon. It is fun if you tire of wasting guys with a halberd and want to switch to twin swords. I have not finished the game and most of the time there is some unlock after you beat the main story-ish mode, maybe this time as well.
In closing is this for everyone? No. Is it fun? Well if cutting through hundreds to thousands of enemy soldiers isn’t fun what is? If wielding swords, axes, pikes, spears, arm cannons, throwing knives, twin rods, battle fans (yup kick ass with a feather fan), boat anchor (yes one guy fights with a boat anchor) or flute isn’t fun I ask you again. What is? Are over the top characters (that could have no way been part of feudal China) and pretty 80’s action movie dialogue fun? Ummm…yes!
If you hate it you’ll stay away. If you like it, you’ll play it. If you know nothing about it you’ll stay oblivious. If you’re forced to play it you’ll develop your own opinion. Problem is I’ll be battling through ancient China for a bit instead finishing another part of my Night Lords. Oh well…back to fighting for the glory of Shu!

1 comment:

  1. What a loser game for losers. I hate Shu! I hate those green bastards! Lets see some Grey Knights commentary!

    ReplyDelete