Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Deathly Hallows, its Raiders good



Well to start I never read the Harry Potter books. I never had any real desire or pressure to read them. I honestly never wanted to see the movies. Sorry, it just didn't really appeal to me. However, I love my son and he thought Harry Potter looked awesome all those many years ago, when he was a just a specky git on the big screen.

Well I have taken my son to see all the Harry Potter movies, minus the Sorcerer's Stone, in the theater. Then the Deathly Hallows came out and I ran to see this yesterday morning at the first showing 9:30 A.M. and my son wasn't even here yet (he will arrive Tuesday nite for the holiday weekend). Yes, I wanted to see the Deathly Hallows as soon as I could. I was that interested in the goings on of this movie, and it didn't disappoint.

This franchise has only gotten better with time. It is one of the few that hasn't fallen off after one or two movies. For me I have: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars New Hope and Empire, Conan the Barbarian, Fellowship and Two Towers and Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan, these are my benchmarks for sci-fi/fantasy movies. These are what I base my opinion of nerd movies/franchises against. Many films fail this test, because these listed films rock and the others don't. The Deathly Hallows just made this list. It isn't even finished yet, it is only part one and has made my list of films, that other films of the nerd genre, should be judged against. I believe it is that good, Raiders good.


I have become a fan of this franchise over time, slowly. The films just get better and better this is usually really hard for a series. Look at Indiana Jones. They get worse with each incarnation. Star Wars becomes unwatchable after Empire. The Star Trek films just keep getting worse, and I'm not counting the J.J Abhrams reboot in Star Trek list since it is some alternate reality thing. James Bond is another series that just keeps getting worse with each film as well. Sure there are some gems, but really after Dr. No and Goldfinger, they just go from bad to worse. Once again not counting the Daniel Craig reboot, because it is a reboot to save the sinking ship that has become 007. The Harry Potter movies somehow avoid this and are the new anomaly. These are films that get better the more they make, not worse. This is another thing that made me want to see Deathly Hallows first thing Saturday morning. The fact that is going to better than The Half-Blood Prince, it had to be, and damn it was!

Why is the Deathly Hallows part one good? I think it is the combination of; the increasing maturity of the films, the short list of awful/awesome stuff that happens, the darkness that is facing the wizarding world, and the level of bad guy that is running the show, that made me like this movie and want to see more.I won't go into deep details for the few people who haven't read the books, like me and mine. No spoilers here. Sure, I know the main players and what eventually happens in the end, but it is the journey to get there that I don't completely know and what makes this movie great.

What these teens go through in this film is rough. There is no way me as a teenager would have had the gall or balls to do what Harry, Ron and Hermione did in this film. Hell none of us probably would, and that is what I thought was really awesome. These kids get it. The odds are stacked against them at every turn, but damn if that is gonna stop them. Just great stuff that happens. Hell, there was even weeping from my lady when a few, of the many, deaths occurred. I'm not going to say that they weren't sad, but damn my girl crying over Potter characters?!?! If you knew her that is pretty serious stuff.

Then you have Voldemort. The new bad guy on the block. He has slowly, in these films, grown to great bad guy level. He rates up there with Vader, Khan and the Nazis from Raiders of the Lost Ark. This guy is bad and the good kind of bad. Really great bad guy stuff the last few films; the killing whole sale, the plots, the controlling, the genocide, the minions, having a giant evil pet snake, and at the heart of it all trying to kill a kid. HE really wants to kill a kid (and run the world). Man that is just bad in any society. Voldemort has really made it as pop culture bad guy and a damn good one.

What else makes the Deathly Hallows good? The main action sequences are great. The mixing in of a little light comedy helps keep the film from being too dark,via Ron mostly. The cartoon explanation of the Deathly Hallows story is fantastic stuff and another nice break in the foreboding doom feel. Just some great animation was done there. The feel and events of the opening sequence were awesome. What Harry, Ron and Hermione(mostly what Hermione does)to/for their families is rough. It sets a tone and the movie doesn't stray much from it.

So as a film, Deathly Hallows rocks! I want to say more, but I don't want to throw stuff out if you aren't in the Potter know. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it again this week with the boy. He has already expressed having to see it this week when I talked to him last week. See it. If you haven't seen these movies, rent them and then go see it. It is damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment