Sunday, September 8, 2013

"One down... Three down. You see where I'm going with this?"



We saw the third installment of the Riddick movies last night and it was a delight! It was a must for both of us as we both get a mean-on for Riddick.







Here we have the follow up to Chronicles and it follows the wacky killy adventures of one of my favorite anti-heroes, Mr. Richard B. Riddick. He has been removed as the Lord Marshal of the Necromungers and left for dead on a hostile planet. It then becomes a very dialogue free man and his dog story for about 30+ minutes. I loved this part and thought it was great stuff. Riddick then must survive the landscape, injuries and local fauna.Then of course the bounty hunting starts and the action ramps up a bit. This leads to some good violence, one liners and twisted humor all in fun sci-fi environment.

Hell, even Katee Sackhoff is in this and she will make sooooo many nerds happy in one scene. I myself was surprised! She channels an angrier Starbuck as a mercenary named Dahl. That is fine with me as that is her forte and she does it well. I was glad to see her again in a sci-fi element and outside of being a cop in Wyoming.

Hell even Karl Urban shows back up as Lord Vakko. I didn't expect that either. I loves me some Karl Urban too!



Anyway.....

The only issue was that the ending was really lacking. It was Red Scorpion bad, but it was close. A real feeling of " Well that was a thing. So I guess see you all later." says Mr. Riddick.
There was a building toward something that just didn't happen, but it leaves room for another. Another I really doubt will happen, but here is to blind hope.

Yes this will only appeal to a niche audience. Yes this also has a very Pitch Black feel. Yes the plot is derivative. I say good, I am that niche audience. I am loved Pitch Black! Who cares if there is a similarity. Nobody who is going to see this is expecting an award winning screenplay and acting. This is a great popcorn action movie for the end of the summer. Plus, it is another chance to root on a great dark anti-heron as he continues to kill his way through the universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment