Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Battle for Calth and action movie novel

 
Well continuing on with the Horus Heresay books, I find my self finishing "Know No Fear." This is a planet wide battle that takes place between the Word Bearers and the Ultramarines.
 
 
 
There is not a lot of substance here, it is mostly action action action! Sure there is a little bit of stage setting prior to said action, but not much. It is very 80's action meets war movie, just like most of the 40K novels. I guess that is why I enjoyed it. That and I really like the Horus Heresay backstory and battles.
 

 
There is a event that occurs between the Word Bearers and the Ultrmarines. It is some sort of slight, misjudgement or what have you. Well, after this then Horus, now the Warmaster, wants to fix this problem between the two legions. He has ordered the Word Bearers to meet the Ultramarines at the planet Calth. There their two full forces well leave to go fight  a mess of pesky orks.
 
The Ultramarines are happy to oblidge and see this as a way to smooth things over between the chapters. Nothing says bonding and I'm sorry like some ork killin'! Little do they know that Horus and the Word Bearers have flipped and..........
 
What follows is a lot of what you expect from (and want most of the time) from a 40K book, action action action! There is not as much substance as the early novels, Prospero, Legion etc.in this book. It is fun quick read though. It gives the tale of why the Ultramarines are not a big deal when Terra is eventually invaded. It also gives a first real look at Robute Guilliman, the Ultra's primarch. I know he showed up in The First Heretic, but I have yet to read that yet. It was good to see him get some screen/ novel time.
 
If you care to know what happened during this battle and the why, how and what was done to keep the XIII legion from fighting Horus, then I recommend this. If you want more story and less action action action! then I suggest anything else but this.
 
A minor gripe, there is a bit with a band of surviving Guardsmen, workers and such that runs during this tale. I'm not sure the point and nor do I care. It really drags the story down and I'm supposed to care about these people. Sadly, I didn't and nor will I try and follow who they are,  where they are going or what they are doing. If they show up in another Heresay book I'll probably forget who they are, just like all the remembrancers and other assorted humans that pop up in these books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment