Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Gen Con wrap up, part 1

Home saturday nite and just kind of de-rezzed from the day in Indy. It was a pretty successful event for me. I didn't spend too much money and got a couple of really good deals too.

I was surprised to see Forge World stuff along with the Black Library stuff this year. While it wasn't a Game Day type showing, it was surprising to see them there. Sadly I still have trouble justifying any purchase from them. They have pretty models, but they are too expensive for my taste.





Wrath of Kings had a display that impressed me with a group of pig men fighting against vampires, gnome driven bomb totting octopi and some sort of flesh golems. It was really wried, but cool at the same time. Their models are also look great.






Dark Age also  surprised me with how far they have advanced with their models. A few years ago they sprung up and had sort of a Meh! set of models. Now they have an expanded range and ton of then are great looking. They are also fairly priced and can be used for multiple table top games. I purchased some Blood Puppets to paint up as Dark Eldar Warcks.

Speaking of Dark Eldar, I bought a Talos/Chronos as well. I love the kit and it will be a nice break for painting silver kill bots. I'm not starting a new army, just a nice little break to paint something new. A giant thanx to The Warstore for not having a price tag on the Talos and a great guy running the "cash only" drawer. He guessed it was around $18 and I easily agreed. That is like 1/2 price, so how could I argue with that? Also grabbed a trio of bitz bags from them and have been happy with the contents. A ton of 40K stuff I can use and a bunch of fantasy stuff I can sell.

The biggest downer for me was the painting competition. It seemed a bit lacking this year. That isn't to say there wasn't good stuff, just less of it.  A few of the entries that caught my eye.....

A Blood Angel vs. Dune sandworm
"The Sleeper has awoken!"...or.......

....."FOR THE EMPEROR! THE SPICE MUST NOT FLOW!"
 The cutest RPG adventuring party ever!


A slug that throws up Freddy Kruger


An unfortunate  Empire soldier vs. some Skaven




Last is our pile of Gen Con treasures. Manders went a bit nutty for tee-shirts this year along with Dr. Who swag.  A few bags of bits, a Talos/Chronos, Zombicide, and some H.P. Lovecraft decals for my car. I spent little and she went a bit nuts. That's a woman for ya! Am I right fellas!?!


Another successful Gen Con and another pile of stuff to keep us entertained. 
Part 2 will have the few floor pics we took.









No comments:

Post a Comment