Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A game of 6th, the 1st one.

Yeah not news to people that have been playing for some time, but it is news for me. I got in a game of 40K 6th finally.
 The Battle Company of Brother Captain Terik
(Blood Angels codex)
background here if you want to know more
 
HQ- Captain: power weapon hand flamers x2
Elite- Terminator x6 : assault cannon
Troop- Assault Squad x7: melta gun
Troop- Assault Squad x7: melta gun
Troop- Assault Squad x10: rhino x2 storm bolter, melta x2, power fist
Troop-Assault Squad X6: rhino x2 storm bolter, hand flamer
Fast- Assault Bike x3: Multi-Melta x3
Heavy-Predator: autocannon, heavy bolters, storm bolter
Heavy-Predator: autocannon, heavy bolters, storm bolter
 
The terminators are there for fun, not because they are the new hotness. I love the regular Terminators Squads. Nuts to those non-shooty assault jokers! I made a Seth model, but figured I'd try a bland Captain and save a few points. Plus two hand flamers to use the Gunslinger rule intrigues me.
Too much melta for this new edition? Well, I have no plasma Marines made, and probably won't since I always kill more of myself than the enemy. I have been a melta guy and will probably stay a melta guy. However, with new flamer rules....those might get new life in my force. I do enjoy burning things! This is what I am bringing to the table, a few vehicles, and three squads that can drop in from reserve. Plus a couple of tanks that can throw a lot of shots down range. Win or lose I care not. I just want to try this "new" game.
 
 
 First off I forgot the camera so that blows, no pics of all the sweet action!
 
I got in a game with this guy Lucas, who got me into this game in back in a bygone era. Well actually he made me play his buddy Pete or Paul or some such name. He said it fast and spent much of the nite talking to Lucas and only speaking to me when he had questions about my army. He brought Tyranids and I giggle. I never beat Tyranids! Well I have like one victory in 3rd, maybe one (solo) in 4th and zero in 5th. Might as well start 6th out right! Actually I care not I,am just wanting a test run of the rules.
 
We roll up the first mission which has kill points, objectives and kill something first as the victory point/scoring conditions.
 Dude goes first and throws out a list full of multi-wound models.Tyrant with 2+ armor, devourer and psy powers x3 and four Tyrant Guards with whips and rending claws, three Hive guard squads at three strong each. two Harpies one with Barbed Strangler and one with Heavy Venom Cannon, three Warrior squads at full size with Devourers.I already know I have not the fire power to deal with all that stuff, so it makes my game plan easier. Just focus on killin' Warriors to keep him from capturing objectives.
 We roll the warlord trait and I get counter attack for my HQ and squad, if they stay in their deployment zone. Alright! A pretty useless ability. He gets HQ as scoring. Well shit! That makes for a troublesome scoring unit.
 He goes first and the beating commences. I happily called the game on turn 4 as I was down 8-2. Yeah it was a pants down spanking. His Hive Guard wrecked my Rhinos early and fast. His Tyrant and bodyguard had the Marine-ish Teleport power and got to me first turn to camp an objective. Then the following turn to walk around and slowly start eating squads. The Harpies I ignored becasue BS 1 shooting is stupid and flying stuff. If you have thirty guys you'll get some hits. A squad of five-eigth guys, not really viable. He scoredkill points for my rhinos, being the first to kill a unit, killing my HQ, a Terminatoir squad and three assault squads. I killed two squads of Warriors and that was it. I  had not the shooting to do enough damage and my close combat is pretty useless vs. toughness 5 and 6 multi wound guys. The Warrior squads were wrecked by my Predators and Attack Bikes. I just couldn't shoot through them fast enough or well enough (one of several bad shooting examples...... I had a tank roll four 2's and two 1's for the heavy bolter, a  2 and a 1 for the auto cannon and a 2 and a 5 for the storm bolter in my third turn. Yeah that was what kept a Warrior squad alive to eat an Assault Squad.)  I played the mission and cleared the objectives of everything but the Tyrant and his bodyguard (that guy scoring was just fraking ridiculous)

What I took away:
  • Multi-wound models for an entire army suck to play against, especially with the force I had.
  • Deep Strike + pre-measure = almost no risk of mishapping
  • Throwing a krak grenade as a shooting attack is great! Why can only one squad member do this?
  • Toughness 5 bikes with two wounds are awesome! Why did They wait so long for this change?
  • Flying Monstrous Creatures are pants on head retarded as are their Vector Strikes.
  • Hull Points are not that bad. Sure my Rhino's got wasted by glances, but four to six strength 8
  • Hive Guard shots each turn against armor 11 will ruin your day. These things would have been useless against that kind of shooting in any edition.
  • I still suck with 2+ armor saves. When you lose 4 terminators in a round of shooting from AP- guns you have a problem.
  • Focus Fire is incredible. A 5++ cover sucks! When you can deny it by shooting models outside of cover though it is an even bigger FU!
  • Why bother upgrading unit Sarges? They get mashed in challenges vs. HQ (and other character model) beatsticks.
  • I do not like the challenge mechanic.
  • Warlord traits are not for me. They are too random. His was awesome for his force. Mine was drek! I'll forgo it next time or "forget" to use it. I'd rather not have them.


What I had issue with:

Proxies are fine, but when all you have are Ripper bases and a empty large base to use as models....I have a small problem then. Proxy a model that is remotely or even quasi-similar is fine. this was just a pain to always ask what those Rippers were and what those Rippers were when they are all unpainted and meandering about. It was frustrating to play against a force like that.

Will I try another game? Sure. I'll probably use a similar force since it is already boxed and ready to go. Even though it was a frustrating beating it was still a descent game.

1 comment:

  1. The guy's name was Dustin. Damn that came out of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete