Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Adepticon 2019 - Through the Breach RPG




Through the Breach is an RPG set in the gaming world of Malifaux. You know that crazy Victorian times meets Old West, Steampunk, fantasy, magic stuff and some Lovecraftian horror game setting. It all sounds like a giant mess of genres tossed together……and it is. I have played a few games of the tabletop game and thought why not give the RPG a try. Especially outside of a convention I’ll never get a chance to try it.

I grabbed a pre-gen character from a stack, one Mr. Balahadra Raju a fated dabbler…which meant I was some sort of spell caster from India. .  I did my best not to just channel Mola Ram and Apu. I could go all astral plane out of body. I could also summon eldritch tentacles toy throttle my enemies. Plus I had a creepy human skull that I drew my power from/ acted as my spell focus/ spell book. I joined up with an old west-ish gunslinger and large beefy Scandinavian woman with a steampunk artificial arm and a pension for smashing stuff. We were hired to investigate an iron mine out in the wastes where more than just rock was being brought to the surface. We did discover what was going on, yet my character’s survival at the end of the game was really up in the air. Between the attacks from a giant shadow jumping spider and being shot (by accident) by the mining camp captain of the guard while fighting said spider, I was “unconscious” and hauled out from the mine.
It was a pretty straight forward convention game. You know where you have some roll play talkie bits, some combat and some type of skills challenge. It moved fast and we were a well-oiled team. It helped only having three players that kept on track. It made for a very enjoyable game.

Through the Breach uses the Malifaux suit modified deck of cards…or Fate Deck instead of dice. Here you flip a card and add the number to whatever skill, attack roll, spell etc. that you are trying to use.  The players also have a small hand of cards they can use to “cheat fate” by playing a higher card or suit than what was originally flipped. It makes for a very different mechanic than using a handful of dice. Especially, the “cheat fate” bit because you can alter the card draw and make sure you pass that skill or hit that monster with your attack.
 
The best, Red Joker, and the worst, Black Joker, cards in the game.
Guess which one I drew three times during this game...
If I knew more about this game world and had interested people I wouldn’t mind running Through the Breach. Ideally, I would rather play than run the game though. It checks a lot of my pop culture boxes; Old West, horror, magic, fantasy, steam punk and Lovecraft stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment