Friday, April 5, 2019

Adepticon 2019 The Narrative Guys 40K game

Last Adepticon I saw a table 40K game that was on several tables and looked like a recreation of that  book/movie/real life event Blackhawk Down. A small chat later and I learned this was a group called The Narrative Guys. They do large narrative/themed 40K games. I was bummed I didn’t get a chance to try that game, but I did manage to sign up for their game at Adepticon 2019.

This year’s game was titled Nurgle Don’t Surf! I knew (and many more of you out there should know) that this was going to be some Apocalypse Now themed game.
Here a group of Space Wolves needs to travel down a jungle river and stop a traitor guard captain/ Colonel Krutz from doing a bunch of Chaos shenanigans. A patrol boat would carry a Rune Priest and Wolf Priest to the end of the river to confront the chaos themed Colonel Krutz. Along the way Space Wolf units would need to run interference for whatever the jungle was going to throw at us (Nurgle stuff). There were four players vs. two guys running the Nurgle stuff and the game.

We had four squads two heavy weapon filled squads and a regular squad with the Rune Priest and two close combat squads and some jump packing plasma pistol thing squads for the Wolf Priest. I have no idea what these units are anymore since they have all been reimagined and renamed since I quit 40K. I happily took over the close combat units for the Wolf Priest, but was also given the three man giant plasma pistol jump pack squad too. Maybe these were some sort of Primaris Marine thingies?

The goal was to get the two HQ units on the boat and delivered to the shrine at the end of the river. We were also tasked with getting the jump plasma guns and heavy weapons five man squad to the end as well (more for support than anything else).

The pics will detail a lot of the game.


Where it starts......

.....and where it ends in the far left corner.


Blue Team 1 deployment with a Rune Priest

My intrepid Space Wolf squad who would be joined by a similar squad and a Wolf Priest
The other Space Wolf squad I was talking about!

Here comes the Nurgle stuff out of the woods


The PT Boat picking up the Rune Priest....

....and dropping off the heavy weapon squad, are they still Long Fangs?

Here come more Plague Bearers and a Beast of Nurgle



Bothe squad on both sides of the river taking on Nurgle stuff now!
My close combat squad cutting through this Nurgle Beast

My plasma jump pack guys shooting 18 shots with their plasma pistol guns.....and only hitting 3 times.
3 TIMES!! I also rolled 7 ones! However, 1's don't cause wounds unless over charging.
I warned by partner Plasma and Ian rolling don't work well together.
The Rune Priest and Wolf Priest are both on the boat

Jump plasma and HQ units arrive to confront crazy traitor Colonel!

Here comes the Greater Unclean One! Wow who would of thought that was going to happen?!?!

Nurgle Demon fights the heroes!
Plasma guns open fire!
One hero eaten.
Plasma guns over charge to do extra damage!
Squad then wiped by Greater Unclean One and heavy weapons squad/ not not Long Fnages will advance the next turn to save the day!
By the end we did manage to get the two characters to the evil Colonel Kurtz, but of course he summoned  Greater Unclean One, because Nurgle themed game. The demon ate our two HQ units. It took a beating from my overcharged plasma (which killed one my own guys since plasma + Ian!!! = self-inflicted wounds) then he promptly ate those guys too. The heavy weapons squad managed to lay down enough plasma gun fire to bring the big smelly demon down. Which led to a win/pyrrhic victory for us. We managed to kill the demon, but lost our HQ in the process. I call it a win since we were tasked with getting the units there and stopping whatever was happening at the end of the river.


Even though I don’t know the intricacies of the newest edition of 40K. I still knew 3+ to shoot, 4+ to hit in close combat and 3+ save. It was a really fun and well run game too. If 40K (and other) games were more like this then I would have still been playing it. I will try to get another game with these guys next year. If you see a group called The Narrative Guys at a gaming convention sign-up for their games. It is a super fun time!


No comments:

Post a Comment