It was comical how this game played. I didn’t get upset I just laughed. I had to laugh, because if I didn’t I would have boxed my army, said frak it and left after the 3rd turn of the game. I have never had less fun playing a game. There is a challenging game and then there was this nonsense.
|I get more guys into combat and he makes all the saves! Then... these two units get blowed up the next round.|
Rinse and repeat and that was basically this game.
- Yeah I went 1-1-1 in the tournament, which looking back at my 40K tournament life is pretty standard for tournament play for me. As I packed my army and made small talk with players I realized some stuff…..
- This tournament was neither friendly or fun. Over half the players had some variation of a Russian Steel Guard-ish army.Don’t tell me how to play my army if you have never played any version of it. Instead…..
- …..maybe don’t be a version of “that guy” like half this tournament was. Don’t bring a face kicking list to a “friendly” narrative game.
- My definition of fun/friendly is wildly different that everyone else. I know wiping the floor with your opponent and winning is fun, but is that what this game was supposed to be? I thought not, but after looking around at different armies I’m guessing it was.
- Never play in a tournament again. They are not worth the time and become not fun rapidly.
- Speaking of tournaments….if you are running one (maybe this is just me and my experience, but) maybe start on time….not forty minutes after the fact. Maybe keep the games running on time too. An hour and a half per game was stated. Maybe keep it to that too? Nothing is better than standing around for almost an hour before the first game.
- Steel Guard armies can kiss my ass! If I ever face one again I’m not even going put any effort into playing. I’ll line up and pas my turns just to get the game over with quicker. The units are just disgustingly sick with their saves, damage resistance, weapons that negate all saves and a leader whole bolsters and already annoyingly powerful shooting unit. If the majority of people take some variation of this army then there is an issue with the game development and play mechanics. Well that or the majority of tournament players are “those guys.”
- I like to play, but I will not shape my army to defeat on special army. I would rather just lose quickly and go play someone else that might be like minded and want to play for fun.
- If you are told that this tournament was “super chill” last year and to try it and what you got was this….well one would be very disappointed. Once again my definition of words and phrases is wildly different. “Super chill” to me sounds like beer and pretzels game. You know like I prefer to play. This was only “super chill” because people weren’t vying for some super prizes, or arguing over every move, roll etc.
- When a draw is acceptable just to deny a player the second victory, then playing in tournaments is something I should walk away from.
- If you play a 12 year old-ish kid it is a lose/lose proposition.