Tuesday, December 31, 2013

47 Ronin

The 47 in the title is not only the amount of ronin, but it is just over the percentage of the film I enjoyed.


I know a bit of the original Japanese story of the 47 Ronin. I had no idea where this film was going to go with it. However, the previews had some monsters, magic, swords and fighting which meant I was going to give it a try. I did and kind of wish I had waited or even skipped it.





The film moves at a weird and not good pace. The action scenes are shot too fast or are just kind of meh! at best. Keanu Reeves is doing his best not to be Keanu Reeves and fails. There is also way too much mediocre CGI. I could also care less about what happened to anyone. There was not one character I liked or remotely cared about. Finally, there are two giant preview standouts that go nowhere.

The first is the giant silver samurai guy. He is towering brute and you are just waiting for him to wreak havoc. You also want an awesome sword battle between him and anyone. You wait and it builds….then……he does nothing. Lame!

Second is the skull and bones tattooed man and his band of pirates. You think he will be a major player with all the screen time in the previews and signage. Well he isn’t, and he also does diddly squat. Boo!

The upside is that Gedde Watanabe got some work in this film. I miss him. There is also a huge amount of fantastic head wear in this film. It is not Conan the Barbarian level, but it is close. If there is an upside it is this. I guess?

This was a big disappointment film. I was hoping for much better than what I received. Congratulations and well played to the advertising branch of the studio. You got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment