Monday, August 19, 2013

Gen Con 2013 report

Two days of Gencon and then I return back to the real world.

I had a busy two days with all the extra bodies tagging along this year. That being said, it was still a good time. I saw stuff, played stuff, ate too much stuff and of course smelled stuff.

My treasures!





Day 1

This was a whirlwind day of avoiding lines and buying must haves. Grabbed the Gale Force 9 asteroids I wanted for X-Wing. Thanks to the help of Todd, I also was able to get all the new X-Wing ships (B-wing, Tie Bomber, Kyle Katarn’s shuttle and the Imperial shuttle). The Blood in the Forrest expansion was pre-ordered and I got extra zombies for doing it. Yea more zombies! We (me and the boy) got a game of Zombicide Prison Break under our belts. We had a run through Hordes too. The boy got all the cards he needed and could afford for his games. I found a great deal on some 4th ed D&D tiles and such. There was a lot of walking and gawking as well.

Saw Walter Koenig, man is he old and tiny. Then had to run away and not Shiva Blast in public as The Shiva (Shiva Kamini Soma Kandarkram) was there. Sure she was there promoting True Blood, but screw that! The League is a much better show than that Vampire love story.



Fantasy Flight had these for the X-Wing future. HOLY SHIT!


Day 2

This was a nice leisurely day. First thing was to grab a demo of Blood in the Forrest at the Flying Frog booth. Sure I pre-ordered it, but it won’t be here for some time. We wanted a run through since it was available. We made a quick like a bunny dash to it first thing Saturday morning. It was a good time, like the rest of their games. Sadly, I had to play a human as the guy running ran zombies only. I completely understand his stance. Sadly to say we failed miserably! Two characters died and my crazy nun was on her last leg. Still even in losing we managed to be the second group all convention to take down the humongoid zombie behemoth. A moral victory at best and bragging rights for sure.

We then began a search for character models and had great success there. Then I grabbed some pre-painted minis to use in my D&D games as bigger monsters because we all need bigger monsters. There was then more eating.

After lunch we hit a Hordes demo again and the girl took an interest in it. Looks like I might be a Hordes household soon. We discussed and looked and walked away with the Trollblood and Circle starter sets. There was more walking, gawking and photos this day as well.

The Butcher Unleashed was as cool as I expected!


Also saw the 5th edition of D&D (or D&D next) pre-made characters that were being used in the Wizards official games. They look like a mix of 2nd, 3rd and some Pathfinder to me. I’m guessing the new edition will be drastically different than the current. That way they can get more sales and all that. We all know it, but will we all try it?

It felt much busier than the last few years. The pressing of flesh was much more prevalent. The human stink factor was down a lot too, that or we just got lucky and missed the majority of it. We big hit funk like one always does, but it was a lot less prevalent. Perhaps the get weather had something to do with it. I would like to hope it was due to people realizing they need to bathe or add a ton of stink pretty to cover their odor. I know that isn’t the case, but one can hope.

Well another year and another Gen Con gone. Now, to get busy doing some gaming and painting when real life doesn’t get in the way.

Pics coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment