Sunday, July 14, 2013

GO SEE THIS RIGHT NOW!






Through my years of existence I have found a place for giant robots: Transformers (the toys and cartoon, not the crap that came after), Robotech, Gundam 8th MS, Gundam Wing, Tranzor Z (as it was named in the U.S.), The Iron Giant, and Evangelion to name a few. I also developed a  fondness for monster movies: Them!, Godzilla, King Kong, Tremors, Cloverfield and the like.

Jump to now and out comes Pacific Rim. How can I not go see this as soon as possible as it has giant robots fighting giant monsters? The easy answer is I can't get there fast enough!





This is really what I have been waiting for all summer. My inner child saw the trailer for this last year and let out a very loud sqeeee sound, like a girl does when she sees a boy band. Sure there was the Iron man, the Fast driving and other films I wanted to see this year, but I have been waiting and waiting to see Pacific Rim.
Now that I have, the wait and film were completely worth it!

This is just a great popcorn, action sci-fi movie! The film gives you a quick bit of backstory and then jumps right into the action and that is what we all want to see. The plot is beautifully simple as giant alien monsters are coming up from a tear in the ocean floor and they are wiping out humanity. We build giant robots to stop them. The world unites and all is well. Then the monster war escalates and it looks to be the end of Earth, unless some giant robots and science can stop them. A well used and familiar giant monster plot, but one that works well.

The acting cast is full of "Hey it is that guy!" if you're a normie. There is not a huge actor in the film, but we are here to see robots punching monsters. As long as they can read there lines, who cares who the stars are. I do like Idris Elba and it was good to hear him speaking with his original accent again. Plus, Charlie Day (charlie from Always Sunny) and Burn Gorman (Owen from Torchwood) were great as the scientist comic relief. There isn't a super star actor here that would be trying to detract from the main draw of the film, robots punching monsters.

Speaking of that, he action here is fan-frakin-tastic! The combat between the robots and monsters is brutal and just full of awesome! It is also done really well. This isn't frantic spinning too fat to focus on camera shots. When these guys are fighting you can actually see the fighting. That was so refreshing. We get chest cannons, rocket punches, EXPLOSIONS!, spinning blade hands, oil tanker bats, jet packs, arm blades, acid spit, head butts, massive destruction, giant claws, giant horns, tail weapons, storage container brass knuckles...wait..I need to catch my breath.

I can gush and go on and on, but I won't. I'll just say go see this movie! If the idea of giant freaking robots fighting horrible alien monsters doesn't do anything for you, then I don't know what will? If you are any type of geek, nerd, freak or neo maxi zoom dweebie there is no excuse to go see this. If you are a normie, it might be a tougher sell, but just know this has great action sequences and is what a summer action movie is all about.






















No comments:

Post a Comment