Friday, May 17, 2013

X-Wing with big ships!

After a couple games of X-Wing, and frantic shopping, my collection of ships has grown. What started as a simple force of two Tie-Fighters and a single X-Wing has blossomed. First there was the acquisition of a Tie Advanced, Y-Wing and a second X-Wing. Then the forces grew again with another Tie-Fighter, Tie-Interceptor, A-Wing, YT-1300 and Firespray-31. Yeah I can use the Falcon and the Slave-I now!

 






The next games we played featured a Falcon vs. Fett match. It just seemed like the right game to play. The first thing about these two ships is the size. The Firespray-31 is a much larger than the regular ships. It is easily twice or three times as tall as Tie-Fighter. The YT-1300 is roughly the size of my hand. I was really surprised how much bigger these ships are in comparison to the fighters.


After a quick decision to run the Falcon vs. Slave-I we blind picked the ships. This was a win-win for me as I like both ships. I chose the Falcon. I was facing the Slave I and Bobba Fett as the pilot. I added Chewbacca as my pilot to make for an even points game. We deployed and the death match began.

After several turns the Falcon limped away and Bobba Fett was sent spiraling off into space in a wrecked ship. Now we are still playing the quick start rules, but these ships are just brutes. They can both take quite a beating with multiple shields and hull points. Then there is the ability for the Falcon to shoot in 360 degrees. The Slave-I has both a front and rear firing arc. It is pretty tough to hide from either ship. There is not a lot of agility here either, but that balances well with the armor. Bobba Fett is a descent pilot as he allows for a change from one quick turn to opposite quick turn if the player chooses. This is great as it allows for rapid course correction to avoid fire or to get into position to fire. Chewbacca did nothing for the quick game rules, but it allowed for me to make wookie honking sounds.

A second game was setup and I choose the same ship, but with Han Solo as captain. I was facing a Tie-Advanced with proton torpedoes and a Tie-Interceptor. This was a much faster game as I had little problem shooting down the Imperial ships. Han Solo allows for a re-roll  of all attack dice. That is huge! Sadly, the faster and more agile Tie-Fighters were no match.  The Tie-Interceptor seems pretty awesome with so much maneuverability, it is just no match for the Falcon in a straight up fight. It definitely needs another look as does the Tie-Advanced.

After just two games both the YT-1300 seems a bit much for simple games. The 360 firing, 8 armor and 5 shields make for quite a problem. The Firespray-31 is similar with front and rear firing arcs, 6 armor and 4 shields. They are super awesome, but seem a bit too much. Head-to-head they match up really well as I only had one more point of damage to take before I was wrecked. Against smaller ships, they might be too much at even points.

They are awesome additions and make me want a Star Wars soundboard even more while playing. I’m going to have to dive into the real rules soon and see how much the game changes. After four games I am still a big fan of this game.













No comments:

Post a Comment