Sunday, May 5, 2013

Iron Man 3

Minor spoilers below.......if you are one of the Philistines to have not seen this yet!



Well the third and last Iron man movie has been viewed, and it was pretty damn good! Now by that I mean like 95% of it was pretty awesome and 5% was drek.

The first post Avengers movie had some shore to fill, and I was a bit nervous with what they were going to do. Also with John Favreau not directing I was also skeptical as he knows this franchise and has done well with it. I stayed away from the reviews and news after the release a week prior. This actually lead me to enjoy the movie a lot more and maybe I'll continue that trend.




Anyway...the third installment of Iron Man was more of a Tony Stark movie than an Iron Man film, and I was ok with that. We have Tony Stark post the Chitauri invasion from the Avengers and he is changed because of it. Here we have the brash Tony Stark suffering from post traumatic stress. I loved that! He is prone to panic attacks, sleep deprivation and fear. It could have been just Tony Stark being like "Meh New York aliens happened. Now to fight some new villain." They decided to go the opposite way with this and it worked great.

Then throw in the Mandarin and Aldridge Killain as the bad guys and that was double rainbow awesome! The addition of A.I.M. was awesome! I was waiting for them to appear and it was awesome for them to show up. Well there are no beekeeper suits, but who cares? Comic nerd Ian loves the addition of that techno-terrorist organization. What was done with the Mandarin was great and Ben Kingsley is just fantastic. The Mandarin is such a lame villain, like Psycho Man or Red Ghost lame. The take on him was so well done.

The plot is a rehash of the Extermis story which is a good Waren Ellis tale. I thought it was a nice attempt at that arc with a few different twists. Add in the mental breakdowns by Tony, relationship problems at home, some political leanings, fame, a evil organization to make human weapons, Tony surviving the majority film without the suit, and it all mashes together really well.

The action is good, there are great scenes with Tony Stark and a little kid, the pacing was good, and there were a few phenomenal nerdgasm moments (Hulk Buster armor, A.I.M. vault of different versions of armor). However, there were a few things that made bothered me,like the stuff with Pepper and the ending. These were small and probably had to do with the actress/actors and the fact this is the last of the Robert Downey Jr. Iron man films. However, this stuff did not take away form the whole of the film, thus the 95% awesomeness it is.

"House Party Protocol Initiated"
Another great Iron Man film and it bookends a trilogy that for me is right up there with Star Wars IV-VI. Plus the end of credits sequence is my favorite, and so far the best, of all the Marvel films to date. A great bookend to this version of the Iron Man franchise. When the next Iron Man films happen, and they will to keep Disney away from them, they will have big shoes to fill. Everyone has their Doctor, Bond and Batman. I'm calling it now, Robert Downy Jr. is my Iron Man

No comments:

Post a Comment