Sunday, May 19, 2013

So it is Trenzalore!

 
Then season 7 finale of Doctor Who has come and gone. I will say it was the first episode this season I mostly enjoyed. Mostly.



The 7th season hasn't been a let down, but it hasn't been awesome either. The upside is that there isn't Amy Pond. Man did I dislike her story. This season has just been sort of blah. There haven't been any super great episodes but there hasn't been any stinkers either.

Anyhoo, last nite was the finale and it was descent, not great, not awful and had a lot of fanboy flair. I guess that is why I liked it more than the others. There are nods to past events, looks toward the future, flashes of the previous Doctors and a bridge to the 50th special in November.

The plot sadly was kind of meh though and any fool could see what would happen before the end. Hell the end itself would have been jaw dropping if the interweb hadn't spoiled it for everyone a while ago. There was also the return of River fraking Song. I loathe her story and character. I guess there is someone worse than Amy Pond in the show, and it is River fraking Song. Why they had to drag her back boggles the mind. It was good to have them finally acknowledge her death and the some of the details about it was satisfying. I am just a bit concerned she will show up in the 50th and annoy me again. Hopefully I am just worrying for nothing.

There was a lot of the three amigos: Strax, Jenny, and Vastra again. I love me some Strax and all Sontarans. I am just awaiting the spin-off show with these three characters since they keep pushing them on us. It is good to see the Doctor hanging with more than just his companion.

Speaking of companions we get a look into what the newest, Clara, is all about. Sadly, it is super predictable and sort of lame after that it is known. I find Clara a bit unlikeable. She just doesn't have any real redeeming qualities. She just tags along with her blank stares and wide eyes. Sadly, she is the crux of the season and I have to try and take an interest in her. If she was the best of all the people chose to be this season's companion, I wouldn't want to see the rest.

The best parts of the episode was the reveal of the Doctor's final resting place, this giant battle where he died, an entire planetary graveyard, the demise of the TARDIS, the mention of the Valeyard, the acquisition of the TARDIS, the flashbacks with the previous Doctors, a strange and underused new villain and the reveal at the end of the show (which we all should have guessed. Thank you ass-hat media and internet for that.

This entire season felt a bit phoned in until this episode. We all just want to jump to November 23rd to see the 50th special. However, we had to have an episode to get us there, and this was it. It was a shame that the season wasn't better. There could have been a much bigger build toward this episode, and maybe it would have been better. It was the best of the season, but that isn't saying a whole lot. I'm just jaded. I do know that I'll avoid any Doctor Who news from now until November 24th.

Oh yeah for anyone who thought they would give the Doctor's name, or ever will, suprise they didn't. They never will so stop speculating, wondering and guessing. Leave it alone and watch the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment