Wednesday, December 12, 2012

HOBBIT WEEK!!!!!!!

I read the Hobbit as a young lad. It is the single biggest influence in me becoming the nerd I am today. It was first real foray into fantasy and I have not really looked back. I have read the novel seven times as I was growing up. Each time I walked away with something new to ponder. 


I also read the Lord o' the Rings trilogy, but struggled to make it through that once. I also tried The Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales, but dumped them quickly. These two were just bad. The unreadable kind of bad.

Actually, everything post Hobbit can be tedious to read. Yes, there is awesome in the Lord o' the Rings, you just have to struggle to get there.



Now the movie version of my beloved childhood story is here, well as of Friday it is. I am both super excited and nervous.

Peter Jackson did some great stuff with the Lord o' trilogy and he did some drek too.

Until this week this is the only Hobbit I have known. Thank you Rankin Bass!
The Hobbit we will all soon know.
The decision to turn this into a trilogy and add the nonsense that takes place between and during the Dwarf/Hobbit journey worries me. I know that Peter Jackson and others want to tie-in this to the Lord o' trilogy. I get the idea, but why? This could be a great two part pure Hobbit tale. The first part up to and into Mirkwood and the second part with the escape all that comes after Mirkwood. Three movies troubles me, but I am putting faith in this guy. He is the guy who made the Fellowship o' the Ring movie better than the book.
The Hobbit where the Dwarves are scared pussies and the goblins angry and bad ass!

As of Friday I saw good bye to my Rankin Bass animated Hobbit and ,hopefully, welcome the fancy new high speed live action Hobbit. I just have to hope the film doesn't trash my favorite book too much.

Animated Gollum...way more creepy! I'll say that right now!


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for date day! I'm going in with an open mind, just wish it wasn't going to be spread over three films. There will be lots to talk about on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how was it? Reviews have been pretty meh so far.

    ReplyDelete