Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Thanksgiving 40K game...a bit late


This comes a bit late as this happened Saturday of Thanksgiving week. My son was here and asked if we could play some 40K. Hells yes we can! I grabbed some terrain and let him choose from the armies I have. While I set the board he made his list. This would be his first 6th game and my second, so I kept it simple. We ditch the Warlord Traits, book missions and just play a simple monkey in the middle, one objective or Alamo game. I figured under a 1,000 points would work well for us.

SIMPLE MISSION: CONTROL THE RUIN WITH THE STATUE.



The boy’s army……
SPACE MARINES
HQ
Captain- plasma pistol, lightning claw
TROOP
Marine Squad x10 flamer, heavy bolter, rhino transport
TROOP
Marine Squad x10 melta, missile launcher
TROOP
Marine Squad x10 plasma gun, missile launcher, plasma pistol
TROOP
Scout Squad x10 shotguns, combi-flamer
860 points

Why did he take this list? Well he looked at the models I had and picked what he liked. He chose the weapon load outs per squad and his HQ. He also wanted to have a transport, but only one. Why? I’m not sure. It was his army to build. Maybe (like me) he likes more models and fewer toys. Whatever the reason this is what my son settled on for a list. I would try and give him something to fight against and that wouldn’t overwhelm him.

NECRONS
HQ
Overlord- warscythe
TROOP
Warrior Squad x12
TROOP
Warrior Squad x12
TROOP
Immortals x5 gauss blasters
TROOP
Immortals x5 tesla carbines
FAST
Scarab Swarm x5
FAST
Scarab Swarm x5
ELITE
Flayed Ones x7
823 points

Yeah I’m a bit short on points versus the Marine list, but I don’t care. I mostly want to see what Necrons might be able to do now. I grabbed a warscythe only to keep my HQ cheap. Sure he might fall if the Marine Captain gets in his face, but if he doesn’t fall…then the Marine Captain should. Two blocks of Warriors because I have them, and like them. Two small Immortal squads, one with blasters and one with tesla, will fill my typical four troop slots. Then add some Scarabs! I loved these guys before, but they have changed so I am curious to see how much. A final squad of Flayed Ones to try and outflank will finish out my force.

“But Ian, Flayed Ones just suck so badly. You know this.” booms the voice of the interweb.

"Yes interweb I know this, but this is for shits and grins. I also built these guys back in the day where they could do a little bit more. I have the models might as well try them." I tell the interweb.

I could have thrown out an Annihilation Barge, Tomb Blades and some Crypteks; but I wanted to have fun and make sure the kid had fun. I know it sounds lame to say it, but it is the truth. There is nothing to be learned from wiping the floor with someone for their 3rd game (1st of 6th edition) of 40K ever.








Our forces were ready, the board was set and we just needed a roll for set-up/first turn. The boy won and chose to go first. He deployed very evenly and with one squad in the Rhino.

 I then threw down my Necrons. 

Then there was an infiltrate move by the Scouts and they were in position to grab the objective come turn one. It seemed a very risky move, one that I did not expect from the boy, but a good move none the less. I would have to dig the Scouts out of the ruins and hold off the advancing Astartes to win the field.

I threw my Flayed Ones in outflank reserve. I had a couple of tactical Squads I could have them jump on when/if they arrive.

Turn 1


The Marines move out! All the squads walk forward. They are full as he didn't like the idea of combat squadding. A small advantage as that means snap firing heavy weapons are not too scary. The Rhino drives forward 6" and unloads the squad inside. They forgo shooting to run into the ruin. Damn! Another squad to dig out of there.

 After moves,the Marines open up on the right side Scarabs. They dodge the bolter fire, but a swarm drops to a plasma gun shot. 

The heavy bolter opens up and not only hits but drops a Necron Warrior. Hmmmmm, what was that about not fearing snap fire? I botch my resurrection roll, but figured I would anyway.

Now it was the Necron's turn.

The two groups of Warriors shamble forward. Both swarms of Scarabs move forward with ideas of eating a Rhino and trying to tie down some Marines.

A Warrior squad unleashes a torrent of gauss fire into the Rhino. I don't want that thing picking up another squad to drive them into my lines or worse, into the objective. I roll 7 hits from twelve shot. Not too shabby. I roll zero 6's for the needed auto glancing damage. Hrrrrummm....

The other Warriors and both Immortal squads unload into the ruin and take aim at the squishier Scouts. Four of them fall, but they hold their position.

Turn 2
 The Marines on foot move forward. The Rhino shifts for some cover, and ever closer to the HQ carrying Tactical squad. 

The Tac squad in the ruin moves forward to secure a nice rapid fire range if I advance any closer.

Then the shooting starts!

The Scarabs on the left lose two swarms to plasma pistols, and lose a pair of wounds to bolter fire.
The advancing plasma gun blasts a Warrior. He falls, only to piece himself together somehow and rise again. 

Then my turn starts. The Flayed Ones decide to not arrive. Hurrrmmm.  I move the right side Scarabs closer to the Rhino and am well within charge range. 
The Warrior squads move forward, just enough to be out of rapid fire range this turn. 
Both squads of them and all the Immortals unleash on the Tac sqaud in the ruin. After the awesome light show, four Astartes have fallen. This only makes them more determined not to flee.

The Scarabs assault the Rhino. They charge in with 20 attacks....and only manage to strip 6 armor points off the vehicle. So far the anti-vehicle Necron awesomeness is a bit lacking.

The top of turn 3, I finally started taking pics again.
Turn 3

The Rhino moves away from the bitey metal bugs. The remaining Marines outside the ruin move forward. 

The left side Scarabs are bathed in promethium, bolter and plasma. Needless to say, they are destroyed. 

The squad in the ruins unleashes bolters, melta and missiles into the nearest Necron troops. Seven of the silver killbots fall, but only two stay down. A fantastic resurrection roll! 

The squad on the far right decides to shoot at the Scarabs that are all hoped up on Rhino metal. They throw a couple of wounds on a base. They only had three guys that could see one model.

My go, and the Flayed Ones arrive. I roll left board edge and am fine with that. They walk on and will be able to charge this round.

The Scarabs that remain chase after the Rhino. 

Here come the choppy killbots!
Another torrent of gunfire into the ruins from the approaching Necrons and three more Marines fall, including the melta gunner and missile launcher. That closest model to die rule can be harsh. The Marines resolve is not lost. They will not leave their position! 

"BEEP BOP BO BEEP BOOP" say the robots as they charge into combat.
The Scarabs charge the Rhino again and are able to wreck it this time with their neat-o eating armor ability.

The Flayed Ones charge and dodge the round of Overwatch. The accuracy of the Marines falters when they are charged.  The Marines drop 4 of the Flayed Ones, but they all get back up. I like being lucky! The choppy killbots eviscerate 4 Marines. The Marines botch their leadership and are forced to flee. I roll to not sweep them since they are immune to that. I roll a 4 and they roll a 2......so a 6 after we add initiative. Everyone stays put. 

Turn 4
"ALAMO!" shouts the boy as he sees what the game is moving towards.

The ruins open up with bolter and shotgun fire. Several Necrons are hit, but they make their armor saves.

The approaching squad unleashes a torrent of bolter rounds and the plasma gunner rolls, all within rapid fire range. 
Then my plasma curse appears to manifest in my son. He rolls snake eyes for the plasma and fails an armor save. Another plasma gunner lost to an overheating weapon. It does my heart good to see the boy so much like his dad when it comes to plasma and 40K. The remaining rounds from the unit tear apart 6 Warriors, who all fail their saves an their resurrection rolls. This is the dice  round I was awaiting.

Top of Round 4
The close combat rages on as the Captain rips 3 Flayed Ones apart with his lightning claw. Two more drop from the sarge's chain sword. I roll  and 3 of the 5 stand back up. WOW! I am super hot with the resurrection rolls. One Marine is sliced to ribbons in return. I lost the combat by one and pass my leadership to stay in combat.

The bottom of four and I break off the Overlord from his unit. I advance a Warrior unit toward the ruin and the other toward the approaching Astartes squad on the right. and even begin to move the Immortals down and out from their buildings. It is time to start my big push to the center. The Scarabs zip over toward the close combat, a great place for them.

Shooting has me destroy the remaining 3 Tac Marines in the ruin. I run the Overlord to get in the building. The tesla Immortals finally roll a pair of 6's when firing into the Scouts. Three die from the electrical weapons. Only the sarge remains to face the approaching Overlord.

The Scarabs fly into the close combat! The Captain destroys one base of them and a krak grenade destroys another.The Flayed Ones drop three more Marines. Wounds caused goes against me, but I pass my leadership. This combat will not end, and that is good for me.


Bottom Round 4
Round 5
The remaining Tactical squad moves forward and draws bolt pistols. The Scout sarge heroically decides to defend the ruins from this robot leader guy. He unleashes his combi-flamer....and doesn't even singe the Overlords tattered cloak. The Tactical Marines fire off a volley of pistol rounds and destroy a single Necron (failed both armor and rez rolls). 

The chrages are made! The sarge does this awesome flying tackle and drives his combat blade deep into the Necron Overlord. Sadly,he failed to hit a single vital spot. The overlord in return cuts the Marine in half and then again and even a third time. The ruins are free to claim!

The Tactical squad slams into the Necron Warriors and kills all of them in one round. All Necrons dead and  means all stay down. 

Just like a Black Library novel, except the Marine does not somehow win the fight.



The close combat phase...
The other combat has two Flayed Ones fall to the Captain's lightning claw, and one get back up. The heavy bolter trooper is cut to ribbons. The rest of the combat is just awful dice rolls. It continues.
........my turn 5 moves

My end of turn 5 and I solidify the ruins and move the Immortals forward. The approaching Tactical Marines are hit with gauss, in flayer and blaster form, and also a salvo of tesla carbines. After that only a single trooper remains. After a pause we call the game. The Marines are forced to flee the city. The Necrons have the field!

Even in the loss the boy had a good time. He said he should have tried the combat squad thing to get better use from the heavy weapons. I didn't disagree. I liked his gusto tot grab the building early and force me to move him. I also shared some of my plasma mishap tales and he thought it was great it happened to him as well. There was some horrendous dice rolling as well for the both of us, but there usually is in most 40K games. 

I really miss the added terrain save for Scarabs more than the jetbike movement. What they can do to vehicle now is just gross! Also having the change Fearless is awesome. What is not is the ability to drop a strength 6 krak grenade in close combat. That really ruins the swarm's day, when they hit. Tesla is meh in a small unit. I just might bump the carbine squad to 10 to get more chances and I also like the look of my models. 

Marines, even bland and old, are pretty damn good. The rapid fire changes have made a foot squad a bit more useful and the "free" flamer, missile, multi melta or heavy bolter is nothing to sneeze at. Combat squads have their place and maybe if the missile and heavy bolter were firing to full effect instead of snap fire, it might have helped the boy a bit more. Still he did well and even surprised me at times.

Either way I/we need more 40K games to play!




No comments:

Post a Comment