Thursday, March 1, 2018

Monsters: Gnolls and Hobgoblins

Today we have large hyena men and bigger goblins with a military acumen. I am looking at gnolls , hobgoblins and why I always tend to skip over these guys.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The gnoll was once labeled as a cross of gnome and troll but that got pitched real quick. They then became a race of humanoid hyena men. That is way cooler and actual makes more sense than a ½ gnome-1/2 troll monster. These beasties stand 7-8 feet tall. They are literally just big bipedal intelligent hyenas really. They are nomads and have a taste for brutality.
 
Then there is the hobgoblin. The name goblin is really the only bit they take from their goblin relatives. These guys are tall, like tall human tall. They have red-orange skin. They are smart. They are known to use military strategy. They are cowards. They build, they farm and they have little communities. They live for honor and glory. They are seem to be the anti-goblin. Hell, they sound like they should be the Klingons of D&D.
 
 
Feral dog men and not Klingon goblins? Why are you not using these guys Ian? They sound like monsters right in your wheel house.
 
Well the reasons I never used these guys are…well…really kind of weak.
 

 
The first and easiest answer is that players level up and I just pass over both these monsters. I guess the general progression, for me, when players start is : kobolds, goblins, orcs, and then bugbears and above. I always found that gnolls and hobgoblins fell into the same space with orcs. I was raised a Tolkien reader and goblins/ orcs were always the easiest and best bad guys for characters to fight early. Later I was into 40K and orks/grots were the staple. Plus, I love me a horde of slavering orcs and goblin fodder. Sadly gnolls and hobgoblins just always seemed to get lost in the evil humanoid progression and they weren’t the giant horde monsters for me.
 
Then there was the issue that old school gnolls were considered large creatures. Back in 2nd weapons had differing weapon damage for  large and small targets. Gnolls were just easier to butcher when they take damage from player weapons like a giant or dragon. Another reason I rarely ever used them.
 

This is a minor quibble, but the hobgoblin original artwork was abysmal! There stupid look kept me from using them. I just couldn’t picture these guys living in the game world I created.
 
Like I said my reasoning for skipping these two humanoid races is really weak, player leveling past them and aesthetics. That is really it.
 
I know now they have added so much more to the gnoll and hobgoblin races. They have more versions to face. They have more background and various different reasons to use them. Like I said the hobgoblins now sound more like Klingons. They also don’t look like goblin samurai anymore and that helps. Another idea is using them as a tactical strike force. They are supposed to be militaristic right? Maybe I try and use them like a SEAL team or something? Why am I not using these guys again? Oh yeah, previous edition stigmata.
 
Gnolls now sound like a better and scarier version of a barbarian horde. I guess they could work that way. They also they have all manner of crazy variations to add to their ranks as well. Perhaps I need to revisit the gnoll and have them begin to terrorize the countryside? I mean they have; Pack Lords, Flinds, Fangs of Yeenoghu, Witherlings  and sometimes even demon support. They look like the perfect slavering horde! Why am I not using these guys again? I overlooked them because I always have.
 
 
Wow! I guess I really need to reevaluate both these groups of monsters. I think they could feature in games I run now more than ever before. Well…maybe not now since my players are pushing over 6 and upwards of 9. Still the gnoll and hobgoblin will feature in some games of mine eventually this edition. I guess this second look actually changed my mind on these guys!
 
 
Next week….geometric monsters? Blerg!  The Modrons.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment