Thursday, February 6, 2014

A blessing/curse

 
Instant streaming Netflix is a bitch goddess. She gives with one hand and takes with the other. She taunts and draws me in with numerous films and television shows to watch quickly and easily.
 
However, the quality of the shows and films is sometimes quality questionable. Yet, with it being so easy to view I accept the wonderful goddess’s gift. Then I quickly realize the extent of this gift. It has me watching stuff I passed over in the theaters or skipped on T.V. Yet, here I am staring at the screen ingesting more film and show content. A blessing and a curse the Netflix streaming is.
 
 
 
An example………..
 
 
 


 
I sat and watched the Arnold Schwarzenegger magnum opus The Last Stand. Why? Well it was there and it stars a long time action hero of mine. I have seen everything he has done minus Junior and the X-mas movie with Sinbad so that is saying something right? Still, I felt like it was a moral obligation to view this movie as it had a long time action star in it.
 
Here we have: Arnold, Johnny Knoxville, Louis Guzman and a few other, been in everything and nothing, actors trying to stop a Mexican cartel leading Dave Grohl looking bad guy from getting back home. This involves escaping from the Forrest Whitaker lead FBI in a super fancy and fast Camero. WAIT!  forgot to mention that Latino Dave Grohl has had driving lessons from the Fast n’ Furious school. So he is all super car driving thru the southwest. He has an advanced goon squad sent to a small town to get a bridge built to drive over a ravine straight to Mexico. A small town where guess who is the sheriff? Yup old leathery Arnold is the law in this small town and he is going to stop this guy and his goon squad (lead by Karl Hungus).
 
How ever will he stop them? Well with a stockpile of guns from Johnny Knoxville, a lot of bad action, shootin’, explodin’ and horrible CGI bloody bullet wounds.
 
This is just a bad movie that should never have been made. That or it should have been a Steven Segal straight to DVD release. Yeah the action here is of the not good level. The driving stuff is bad (and this is coming from a guy who enjoys the crazy bonkers stuff in the Fast franchise). Then there are horrible comedy moments.  There are too many old Arnold jabs. Hey Johnny Knoxville hurts himself because that is a thing he does and it is funny. Right? Then there is the final confrontation between Arnold and Dave Grohl, and it is terrible. The whole thing is bad from the chase to the inevitable fisticuffs. Why is Forrest Whitaker here? Did he lose a bet or have some sort of addiction that he needs money?
 
I think it is finally time to hang up the old action stars. Hell it was probably time ten or fifteen years ago. Is it too late for them to bow out gracefully? I see Stallone has “Old Action Star Shooten’ Up 3” coming out, Bruce Willis keeps trying to die in hard fashion and even the Van Damme is getting work again. Maybe I’m the problem and not the movies they are making now. Hmmmm…..
Nope that is not it. The Last Stand is a bad action movie. I am sure of it.
 
However, it is only the first of the films that Netflix has given me to view. Yes I chose to view it and can only blame myself. Well and the Netflix goddess who delivered it right to me. Bless her coming and her going.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment