Monday, July 18, 2011

The Terminator army I really want?

Many moons ago I dreamed of a full 2+ save army list. It was using the Deathwing, and it was before the F.A.Q.'s that fixed some of thier problems. It was a fun dream, and it looks to be over now.
You can read it here if you like.

Deathwing army

Now we have the Grey Knights and thier ability to take Terminator troops without the use of a special HQ. Now the first thing is they will not be fearless, but that is fine. They also can't take storm sheilds and missile launchers and that is ok as well. So why do I like these better than the Deathwing?

Well there is the whole Hammerhand business and swapping halberds for free. Then there is the multi shot psycannon they can take. The option for strength 5 storm bolters is stellar.Finally the ability to run more than five guys in each squad. Fearless is fun, but I'll take more guys over that any day. That and And They Shall Know No Fear can make up for the possibility of failed leadership checks.

Well what goes in my 2+ Grey Knight army? Well first is the HQ, which will be a Grand Master. His ability to confer stuff to D3 squads is great. I look for scout moving Terminators to be the popular choice there. I'll go cheap and just give him rad grenades. Who doesn't want an opposing unit losing a point of toughness the first turn of combat? Not this guy that is who. This will put him at 190 points and I can live with that.

Terminator review
Here I cover the jist of what these guys can take and do.

Now the core and remaining force will all be Terminator squads. Well I really want a psycannon in each squad. These should deal with most armor fairly well. They are also fun vs. everything else. Also a demon hammer in each squad can't hurt so one guy will have that. Then the choice I dread to make, halberds, swords or combo of both? Well let me think of how many guys per squad I want. I'm thinking 6 Terminators for three squads. That will give me one with psycannon, one with demon hammer and then two halberds and three swords. I'll add psybolt ammo to these as well. This will cost 855 (1045 total) points so I still have room to play.


Well with the remaining points I'll throw in two more squads of 5 with psycannon, and psybolt ammo. One squad will be full of force swords and one hammer. The second squad of 5 will be one hammer and all halberds. Why? Why not? Well actually one squad for the 4++ in close combat and one squad to be full +2 initiative.  These will total 450 points. This will bring my total to 1495. That means if  iwant 1500 someone gets a mastercrafted weapon, servo skull or I'll just eat the 5 points.

HQ- Grand Master-rad grenades

Troop- 6 Terminators- psycannon, psybolt ammo, demon hammer, 3 force swords, 2 halberds

Troop- 6 Terminators- psycannon, psybolt ammo, demon hammer, 3 force swords, 2 halberds

Troop- 6 Terminators- psycannon, psybolt ammo, demon hammer, 3 force swords, 2 halberds

Troop- 5 Terminators- psycannon, psybolt ammo, demon hammer, 4 force swords

Troop- 5 Terminators- psycannon, psybolt ammo, demon hammer, 4 halberds

1495 points

Then there is the non-pysbolt ammo list. I lose the strength on the bolters, but I gain a few more guys in the squads.

HQ- Grand Master-rad grenades

Troop- 6 Terminators- psycannon, demon hammer, 3 force swords, 2 halberds

Troop- 6 Terminators- psycannon, demon hammer, 3 force swords, 2 halberds

Troop- 6 Terminators- psycannon, demon hammer, 3 force swords, 2 halberds

Troop- 6 Terminators- psycannon,demon hammer, 3 force swords, 2 halberds

Then I have enough points left for a 5 man squad and 25 points to spare. So what to buy for 25 points? Well the 5 man squad gets falchions. Yes I know these are poo-pooed by everyone. I like the  look of double sword weilding Terminators.

Troop- 5 Terminators- psycannon, 5 falchions

1495 points

I know there isn't a single Brotherhood Banner, but at the moment I want more power weapons and you lose them with a banner. So is this hyper effective? Maybe. Sure it lacks transport, but the Grand Master can help with giving at least one squad, if not three, Scout. Then you can also just deep strike it all in. It won't come in like Deathwing, but I think it brings more to the field than Deathwing (in bodies, weapons and psy power). Finally it is all Terminators and they just so much cooler en masse than regular Marines.

No comments:

Post a Comment