Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dreams of a Haemonculi Coven

With the release of the Talos/Cronos I’ve been thinking of a reason to use either of these units. The model is really creepy and just begs me to buy it. Since I have Dark Eldar already, built of the old models, I have no need of more evil space elf stuff.  After a bit of brain storming, I figured a themed list that would incorporate this model. Now it won’t win many hearts and minds, but I appeals to me. Mostly due to the fact it is full of weirdness and modeling fun. I present a Haemonculus Coven at 1500 points.
I love you giant floating squid turtle monster!

HQ has to be a pair of Haemonculus. They are cheap and are a must for a Coven army. I guess a
Haemonculus, scissorhand, venom blade and liquefier gun seems fine for the points. Let me take two just to add more flamer template/ poison weapon fun and another pain token to throw around.


Now troops, which if you have read my stuff before,are something I really like. I’ll go with Wracks as they are unlocked as troops thanks to the Haemonculus HQ.  A squad of ten with two liquefier guns should be acceptable. A few squads, maybe four or five should do. They are just so cheap not to take en masse.
Then the Cronos will have to go in here. I’ll grab one with spirit vortex; well actually I’ll add two. The flamer template and large blast is can throw out should be fun. The chance throw out pain tokens should be fun too. They are fairly cheap for a monstrous creature as well. Oh yeah, I also love the weirdness of the model.
Now I need some more freakish Coven units, and Scourges look freaky enough. They are Haemonculus modified so they can easily fit in the list. They can also serve as mobile vehicle harassment. A five man squad with dual heat lances is cheap. Now I know heat lances aren’t great being only strength 6, but the AP1 and melta are great. The can potentially deep strike near armor and get that nice ½ range shot for extra armor penetration. 
Now every army needs some mobility and heavy fire power. The Trueborn give me a nice option for dual dark lances without taking a lot of models. They also could also use some mobility to ensure they can shoot if it is a Dawn o’ War game, or to get shots at vehicles hiding behind cover. A Venom with dual splinter cannons. This in hopes that the Trueborn open a Rhino and the cannons can pepper anything else that comes out of it. Maybe I’ll take two of these. Sure they aren’t Haemonculi modified, but they could be fallen/ captured warriors fulfilling a debt, or doing a job to get some much needed Haemonculi surgery.
Well we have all the force slots covered and let me see what I have for points.
HQ- Haemonculus: venom blade, liquefier gun, and scissor hand = 80
HQ- Haemonculus: venom blade, liquefier gun, and scissor hand = 80
Troop- Wrack x10: liquefier gun x2 = 120
Troop- Wrack x10: liquefier gun x2 = 120
Troop- Wrack x10: liquefier gun x2 = 120
Troop- Wrack x10: liquefier gun x2 = 120
Elite- Trueborn x3: dark lance x2, Venom transport splinter cannon x2= 151
Elite- Trueborn x3: dark lance x2, Venom transport splinter cannon x2= 151
Fast- Scourge x5: heat lance x2 = 134
Fast- Scourge x5: heat lance x2 = 134
Heavy- Cronos: spirit vortex = 100
Heavy- Cronos: spirit vortex = 100
This has my Coven at 1410 points, just need something else. Well I could add another Cronos or an 8 man Wrack squad with liquefier gun. I’ll probably add the Wracks, since I can always use more guys. The Cronos could be thrown in for fun another day.
There it is my idea of a Coven. Sure it is mostly walking and that is suicide now, or at least the interweb says so.  The idea of a bunch of medically/ genetically altered crazies with flame throwers trumps that though. The amount of poisoned close combat attacks is always fun to have and can drop even the toughest warrior, just ask Mike and Abbadon. The Cronos model and all the extra bits is also just too neat to not have somewhere, and what better place than in a Coven list. I like the idea and like the thought of modeling all the Wracks, the Finecast versions just don’t appeal to me. I would like to have added Urien and some Grotesques, but they are just too expensive maybe they’ll be there if I dream this to 1850 or 2000. Problem is, this is just me having list building fun and this list will never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment