Friday, May 4, 2018

X-Wing 2nd Edition is a happening sometime soon...


When this game dropped we instantly became fans.
It is really easy to learn.
The ships look good and the pre-paint job is pretty descent. I would never have painted these ships if they came unpainted.
The replay ability is fantastic.
You can get a good game in within an hour.
There is minimal set-up and tear down.
There is a ton of fanboy stuff here as all the known Star Wars ships and pilots are available to play.
It is big with the tournament crowd too.

Now they have announced a 2nd edition of X-Wing......and I couldn't care less.

Why?

Well I am not in the mood or market to buy the upgrade cards or whatever they use to make all my ships playable with 2nd edition. I have a lot of ships and multiple of Tie- Fighters and X-Wings. I can imagine the cost for converting will be stupid and you'll probably get one of each shop per box meaning I'll have to buy multiples to get all the cards I need for the ships I have. The thought of that and trying to put it to words just hurts my brain, let alone actually spending the money to do it.

They are adding Force powers to the game now?! No thank you. I prefer my Jedi with force powers on land with laser swords. Having Force power pilots just screams potential for unbalance cheese.

I can see this as not only a marketing ploy. Every ship in the movie, t.v. and book universe (old and new) is available. They need to pull in new players or force older players to buy new ships. Better make a new edition then. The old standard of if you're not growing you're dying in the business world.

This also feels like a fix to the tournament scene too. After looking at X-Wing at Adepticon the last two years and at GenCon, it seems there are a handful of very popular ships  and upgrades. This leaves a lot of plastic ships not being used/ bought. A new edition shakes all this up and forces new purchases at best and at worst at least new list building for those power combo ships/upgrades.




Finally, our house doesn't need a new edition.
We are happy with X-Wing the way it is. We don't power game. We play it straight. The ship you use can use the upgrades, pilots, passengers, etc. that it came with. I know this sounds crazy to probably 99% of X-Wing players out there. Try it and see how different the game is in it's pure state. There is no throwing R2 in any other ship sans the X-Wing. There are no crazy turret/missile/gear upgrades for the Falcon. The crew of the Ghost stays with the Ghost. There is no power meta gaming in our home.
Nobody here cares about that crap. We play for fun and this game is that without all the ultra power card combo ship building.  If they are looking to fix that issue then it is lost on us.

We have all the ships we want/ need. If it was in the original trilogy then we have it (in some cases multiple of them). It was in the Rebels show we have some of those too. That is it. We don't have stuff from the extended universe, various bounty hunter ships, and the like. I know of these ships, but the family does not, nor do they care. There has been no want or outcry for a 1st Order Tie-Fighter or a second Falcon with Rey. A new edition with new ships also does nothing for us.

I will look at the new rules when they drop as will everyone else. I just don't think I'll bother to get invested in them though. For the casual fans of the film (my family) and the X-Wing game I see no need to jump on a new edition. This version of X-Wing plays great!

We will happily continue to fly little ships around our dining room table blind to whatever a 2nd edition of X-Wing brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment