Friday, December 8, 2017

Star Wars Battlefront II review




Alright now with all the noise out there before release I still picked up Star Wars Battlefront II.

Why?

Well it a Star Wars shooter and I like Star Wars, even though  I was a bit disappointed with the first game.

Battlefront II is still a first person shooting online PVP game. That is the biggest draw. You can play through battles from the prequels and into The Force Awakens. These fights can be 8 or up to 40 players. They can be on land with troopers or in space with star fighters. It has all the PVP one wants and needs with a Star Wars skin draped over it.
This time around there is also a single player campaign. You play as Iden Versio the leader of the Imperial special forces unit Inferno Squad. You start off during the battle of Endor and play through the battle at Jakku. One can easily guess what happens to Iden during her adventures, well unless you are dense, have never seen a movie or read book. Ever. Yup, eventually Iden joins the rebellion/ Republic and fights the remains of the Empire. It was no surprise and a twist that anyone could/should see coming. 

Story aside the single player campaign is alright. It functions a tutorial and gives you something to do for a few hours. It is short and there is little to no replay value. If this is what you bought the game for then I’m sorry. It is not long enough to be worth the cost.
Dumbest plot point in the single player.

PVP in Battlefront I
This is where the action is and where the frustration begins.

I have a love hate relationship with the PVP in the first Star Wars Battlefront. There is no balance and that is stupidly frustrating! The more you play the more you unlock abilities and weapons. This leads to opposing players being able to shoot you just a few times and kill you. While on the opposite side I could unload a barrage of shots into a player and do very little damage. You could shoot a heavy blaster into the face of an enemy and he doesn’t fall. He shoots you twice and you die. It made playing wildy not fun most of the time.

Well what about Battlefront II PVP?
Yup the same problem in PVP. I have been advancing the heavy trooper  and still can unload into an opposing player with a heavy blaster and he barley takes any damage. Then he shoots me no more than three times and I die. It makes no sense. I know I need to unlock all the fun little abilities and weapons to make my guy better, but….. if I hate playing or get 1-3 shot killed all the time why bother. I’ll never kill enough guys to wrack-up the points to unlock all the fun stuff to make my guy better.

This is my experience with the game and I know two other guys that have the same problem. Either this is just what Battlefront games are, or it is just three of us that have an issue all the time.











Shriv! Best part of the single player campaign!

What about other PVP stuff?
When a PVP match is going well it is awesome! When your team is more concerned with wracking up kills for points instead of capturing/defending objectives…it blows!

As you run through the PVP battles you can unlock other troop, ship, vehicle and character options. These are marginally better to pretty damn good. I have seen Luke, Rey and Kyo run the table and muderize swaths of players. It almost seems unfair, but when they show up I just run to a different part of the battle to avoid them. I have yet to do any vehicles, outside of the space battles where you have to play in star fighters. I am so busy trying to wrack-up points for my heavy trooper I don’t want to spend any on vehicles or heroes. I see people always using this stuff so it must be great to drive or control various characters in battle.

There is always the ever present annoying players who just refuse to play the mission. You know the types, but that is every PVP game though so it is a complaint about people and not the game. It does effect game playability as missions can be lost early and fast due to colossal asshats not playing  the fraking mission!

There is a niggling issue for me with unlockable characters in PVP. If I am fight the droid/Separatist forces on Naboo and Kylo Ren shows up to start wrecking face it really bugs me. This is just from a Star Wars cannon bit. The same if Rey shows up on the Death Star. Bossk appearing on Star Killer base. This is just a nerd complaint, but it really seems stupid to do this.
What else?
There is an arcade mode where you can face off against bots instead of humans. This seems ok until you realize the enemy bots are smarter and better than most PVP humans.

There are co-op and vs. split screen modes for one on one action. I’ll pass on this but it is an option for players.

The loot box issue
There was this whole credits, loot box and unlocking special character issue. It had and still has players panties in a bunch. Personally I find the loot box option bad. It feel like a mix of ad development, money grab and pay-to-play scam. I am not concerned with unlocking special characters. I don’t care how many credits it takes to unlock Yoda, Chewie, Darth Maul etc. If I’m bored I might eventually unlock them.

Why no characters Ian? Well they are played in 3rd person and I am no fan of that in a first person PVP battle game.
Yeah so there are loot boxes you need to purchase to get better gear for your troopers, ships and characters. This is just drek. You get credits for playing and spend those on boxes that have random gear. Now it looked like it was going to be that is you spend human money, then you could by better boxes than using the in-game credits. That or spend human money to unlock characters faster. This money grab offended people and all manner of poo was slung at EA.

This money grab/ pay to play better is crap. It has since been halted by EA. Plus they lowered the in game credit cost to unlock characters. Did they need to do this? Well to try and put out the wild fire of bad press before release…yes. Yes they did.

Instead of all this stupidity, EA could have just developed a better game. I mean this is a Star Wars PVP shooter. It is going to sell. Why try to turn it into a money grab after shelling out $60 plus dollars for the game?  You know you gain XP for PVP battles. You level up, but what does it give you? Well the chance to get better (and wildy random) ability cards for classes by buying loot crates. It is a drek system for damn sure.
Random crap found in loot crates.
There had to have been a better way than this!
Why not have the classes level with game play? Why not have skills unlock as trooper, ship or special characters gain XP? You know like make it worth your time to really play a class to get the best stuff. Instead it is just play anything to get credits so you can buy loot with random shit in it hoping to get a ability for the class you like to play.

Thoughts?
The controls, graphics and sound are pretty damn tight!
The solo campaign is mediocre and short.
The PVP is fun but can be wildly frustrating and unbalanced.
The 40 player themed battles look great and toss you into the stuff from the movies.
The XP leveling system is tied to the whole loot box system and that is just a hot wheel of random garbage! Anyone who reads my blog knows how I feel about wildy random stuff.
The loot crates are just an utterly crappy bit of business and poor game development.
Heavy troopers look so cool, but they just don't seem to kill as much as they should.
I mean a guy with a blaster pistol should totally kill him with two shots! 

If you are a big fan of the first Star Wars Battlefront ( or any of the Battlefront series of games ) then you will love this game.
If you are a Call of Duty guy, then you will probably not be a fan.
If you are a gamer and love Star Wars it might be worth your time, but you have been warned.

I have a real love-hate relationship with this game. It could have been incredible. It should be incredible. However, the need to spend real or game money on random shit in hopes to get better stuff is just that. Shit!
I want to really love this game. I still play it at least one PVP match a day. I still enjoy just enough of it to keep playing for now. However, when I eventually dump all my credits on the damn random boxes I better get gear I need for the heavy trooper class that I really enjoy playing. If I don’t then I will happily walk away from Star Wars Battlefront II and not return.

No comments:

Post a Comment