Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Real life news, nothing nerdy to see here.

I type this for me as a record for me to always remember this little face and the day she left us.

For the last almost 9 years Olivia has been a part of my family in whatever formation it is/was.


Olivia was a rescue from a previous relationship. She had been left for dead in an apartment with a broken jaw. So here is a little black and white cat with no  bones in the front of her lower jaw. This means that her tongue sometimes sticks out funny. When the previous  saw her little face she fell in love. When she heard the story of her abuse it sealed the deal and the little cat came home with us.
A week after she came home with us.

I, being the pessimist, figured she would be gone with a few weeks. She was very thin and very weak. That didn’t last.
Always slept in and around the X-mas presents.

A few days later and her appetite was fine as she switched to an easily eatable wet food diet. She was doing all the typical cat activities. More surprising was how she warmed up to us and other humans. One would think after having a person break your jaw/face and leave you might not be too keen on humans. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Olivia soon staked her claim on my lap, behind me on the couch and next to me (or on my pillow at times) in our bed. For a cat that the previous wanted to be her cat, it was anything but that.  

Fall and winter fireplace spot

High on catnip
Everything was swell with her for 8 years, then  earlier this year a respiratory infection wrecked a lung and she has since had some breathing issues. She had developed an abscess probably due to an aspiration event. Meds helped, but it was temporary fix. I knew it would be.


Three days ago (almost six months later) and she was having breathing issues again. A trip to the emergency vet clinic and she was stabilized, but  barley. Three days later and she was losing the fight. I had to make that decision that I knew was coming. It was tough and I hated it. Especially since, when going to see check on her, she would perk up and act like everything was going to be ok. She fought the issue, but it was a losing fight and every day she would get tired faster and look a little worse.

A choice and one I hate having to make.
A common sight during movies, or binge watching.
The cat with the little broken face and big heart is gone. The little cat on the night stand meowing to tell me it is time for bed. The little cat who sat behind my head while watching t.v. to swat me in the face with her tail to let me know she was there. The little cat that would dive in boxes, tubes and piles of wrapping paper at X-mas. The instigator. The red dot chaser. The little cat who could…until she couldn’t any longer.

Good bye “Little Face. “
Good bye Olivia.

All my naps on that ratty couch and most nights in bed this was the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment