Monday, September 26, 2011

A 40K battle report!!!!

After a few months on 40K sabbatical, we got a game together this past weekend.  The resident Blood Angels player, Tom was in town and so there was to be some 40K playing to be had. We decided to run teams and sadly Tom was saddled with me. We would be facing the unstoppable force of Mike and Lew. The game was kill points and pitched battle deployment. Each team would have 2500 points, one player with 1000 and the other with 1500.  I had my Chaos Demons and Chaos Marines in my car; I brought in Demons because I really have been wanting to play them lately.
US
Bloodthirster
Demon Prince- wings, iron hide, mark Khorne, unholy might
Bloodletters x8
Bloodletters x8- icon
Bloodletters x8-icon
Bloodcrushersx3
Reculsiarch
Sanguinary priest x2 power weapon x2
Attack Bike x3- multi-meltax3
Tactical Squad x10- rhino, missile launcher, melta
Tactical Squad x10- rhino, missile launcher, melta
Assault Squad x10 -rhino melta gunx2
Assault Squad x10- rhino melta gunx2
Assault Squad x5- rhino melta gun
THEM
Demon Prince- wings, mark Tzeentch, warp time, wind of change
Defiler
Dreadnought -close combat weapon x2
1000 Sunsx7- rhino bolt of change
1000 Sunsx7- rhino bolt of change
Demon Prince- wings mark Nurgle, warp time
Demon Prince- wings mark Slaanesh, warp time
Obliteratorsx2
Obliteratorsx2
Defiler

Terminators x3- combi-melta x2, heavy flamer
Marines x8- rhino, plasma gun
Marines x8-rhino, plasma gun
Nurgle Marines x8 – rhino, plasma gun
I think that was everything. I might be short a guy or weapon here or there, but this what was going to be on the table.

We rolled and won 1st turn, and threw our guys out. I rolled for my contingents and got the Bloodthirster, Demon Prince and Bloodletters with icon. This is what I wanted. The seize roll was failed and off we went. For the record, it would pretty much be the only real failed roll by Mike and Lew all night.  Tom throws the Tactical Marines in combat squads, missile launchers in cover and with nice lanes of fire. The Rhinos form a nice big line and the attack bikes on the far right. Lew and Mike throw Defilers in the corners, Demon Princes  all lined up behind cover as did the Dreadnought, the Obliterators took position in a building and in some terrain and then a line of Rhinos is formed opposite ours. The punishment began!


Our team set-up. Tom had to proxy speeders for attack bikes.


The Chaos team set-up.

Top 1
I begin my warp incursion and 1st is the Bloodthirster, and he scatters into a defiler.  A quick mishap roll and I get misplaced. He is put in a building in our deployment zone, away from everything. I don’t take a wound from this and am at least glad he is on the board. The Demon Prince lands safely and the Bloodletters scatter a few inches into a nice open spot, which happens to be to the center of two Defiler firing lanes. Now this is not the ideal setup I wanted. I was hoping for big monster saturation on the left, and got a mishap and an easy template target. Well maybe it won’t be that bad.
We roll the Rhino column forward. The attack bikes move to get shots at the closest Obliterator squad. I run my Bloodletters and roll a 2 for distance. Well it breaks up the squad a bit, but they are still a juicy Defiler target. We smoke the transports. The attack bikes fire and score 3 wounds. The Obliterator Squad fails cover saves and they are gone, and give us a quick kill point. The combat squads fire at a Defiler and just impact on the surface.

Bottom 1
The Demon Princes fly out from cover. The opposing line of Rhinos moves forward and shifts a bit. The Dreadnought hugs cover to avoid the attack bikes next turn. Then the shooting begins. As we all thought the Bloodletters are targeted by Mike’s Defiler. It fires, hits all but two and kills all but two. No cover for me and all failed 5++ saves. The accuracy of Mike’s Defiler is ridiculous. I think he has only ever scattered off one of my units twice. Lew opens up with his Defiler and the Bloodletters are gone. One kill point for them. The attack bikes lose two members from the remaining Obliterator squad. Luckily, the remaining shooting is ineffective. With the shooting done, on comes the combat.
An epic combat about to begin!
The Nurgle Prince and my Khorne Prince come to blows. It looks like a nice even fight, except for the Nurgle toughness 6, oh and warp time which is up and running. We hit at the same time and I roll my 5 attacks….and miss with all of them. The Nurgle prince puts 2 wounds on me and I fail the save. I lose the combat and fail my fearless combat resolution save. So I’m down to 1 wound left.

Top 2
Here is the top of turn 2, the left side of the board. Forgot to shoot turn 2 on the right side.
I roll for my reserves and the Bloodcrushers come in with no scatter. The attack bikes move to set up a ½ range melta shot at a Rhino. The Bloodthirster leaves his building perch and flies toward the approaching Tzeencth Prince and Dreadnaught. We have a Rhino standoff on the right side of the table. Looks like we’ll be trading shots from top hatches. Shooting sees us immobilize the Defiler on the left, stun a Rhino with a melta gun...and then we do nothing else with guns. Yeah we were rolling pretty stellar.

Combat sees the Demon Prince face-off. I Put a single wound on the Nurgle Prince with my 5 attacks. He doesn't save. The Nurgle Prince at the same time rips open the chest of my Demon and eats his heart. I have three saves to make and fail all. One more kill point for them. The Nurgle Prince consolidates and can do whatever come their turn. I am thinking this is going to go badly for Tom and myself.

Bottom 2

The Terminators don't arrive this turn. There is very little movement either. The Nurgle Prince moves toward an approaching Rhino. The Tzeecth Prince moves toward a Rhino as does the Slaanesh Prince. The Dreadnought moves forward in support, ever closer to unleashing doom with his chainsaw hands.  The shooting begins!

A Bolt of Change from a Sorcerer opens a Rhino, one kill point. A second sorcerer Bolt o' Change opens another Rhino, one more kill point. The left Defiler then drops a template on the Marines that have spilled out, and they are vaporized. Cover save, schmover save! One more kill point. The Chaplain's Rhino is immobilized.  A plasma gun immobilizes a Rhino near the Nurgle Prince, and it also kills the guy holding it. It provided the only humorous moment of the game for me. I like when plasma guys, that aren't mine, explode.

The assault phase starts and the Slaneesh Prince opens the Chaplain's Rhino, so one kill point there.  The Tzeecth Prince assaults the Marines that spilled out in front of him and eats four of them. That ends turn two. Now count the bold face one's, notice that there are 6 of them. Yup  6-1 right now on turn two. I am ready to stop, but a turn three is somehow a must play and Tom has this never say die attitude. I know where this game is going, but whatever.

Top 3
I get one of my two remaining Bloodletter Squads to arrive. I just want to place them out of gun range to help stop the brutal face beating we are getting. They scatter into terrain, however, it is Rhino Hill. A blessing for me. Nobody dies on Rhino Hill. A terrain piece I made from an old Rhino that has garnered this reputation.

Rhino Hill!!
We really have no moves. I advance the Bloodcrushers, just for something to do. Maybe I'll assault a Rhino? The Bloodthirster, king of melee beasts, advances toward the Tzeentch/Blood Angle fight. Tom spills out in front of the Nurgle Prince and prepares to assault. We shoot and do nothing again. There were shots into the Slaanesh Prince and they failed. The Nurgle Prince laughs as bullets are soaked up in his boil filled flesh.
We attack! The chance to turn the tide....or something. The Nurgle Prince takes zero damage and eats a few Blood Angels in return. The Slaanesh Prince is assaulted and there is even a Furious Charge buff going on there. He is not wounded and in return he eats the two Sanguinary Priests. There are two more kill points to their total. The Chaplain Squad stands firm and takes no additional wounds for being fearless. The Bloodcrushers charge a 1000 Sun Rhino and only take off a weapon. Then Bloodthirster gets his chance to fight. It is what everyone has been waiting for,to see THE pinnacle of close combat, to see THE best of the best. He wades in versus the Tzeentch Demon Prince...........

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

....and with a mighty roar, furious charge, 6 attacks, WS 10 and strength 8 I manage to hit with 3 attacks and cause one wound. The wound is easily saved. WHAT???? That was it? The big combat beast does nothing. The Tzeentch Prince throws against the Blood Angels and kills them. So yup and one more point for them.

Bottom 3, a.k.a. When does the hurting stop?
The Dreadnought moves to charge the Bloodthirster. The Obliterators remove the last attack bike, and one more point. The Bolt of Change is at it again and it destroys the immobile Rhino by the Nurgle Prince, it also puts a wound on the big guy. Yup an exploding vehicle hurts him, but he shrugs off Demons and Astates? Weird. Oh yeah, one more point.

Then the assaults. Here comes Mr. Chainsaw hands into combat. I have two targets now. Seeing as how I have lost the will to live/play now, I split attacks, not something I like to do, but whatever. I throw two at the Dreadnought and the rest at the Demon. I hit with one attack on the Dreadnought. What is the point of WS 10? Seriously? A 3+ on a WS 4 target? Stupid stupid WS chart! Still with strength 7 and monstrous it looks like we might get a whole point! I roll a mighty 1 on the armor penetration chart. DAMN IT! Then the attacks on the Demon Prince. I get two hits and roll to wound.....

HUH? That is a one and a one for my damage roll. Yeah so that happened.
Well the picture sums up that outcome. I do no damage. In return The Demon causes two wounds and the Dreadnought causes a wound and I fail them both. I take my fearless saves and miss them all. Back to the warp and one more kill point for the pile. The Chaplain is pulled down in his combat with the Slaanseh Prince, so one more point there. Now Tom decides he has had enough and Blood Angels fighting the Nurgle Prince decide to pull him down. Holy crap! We got a kill point. Sure the Nurgle Prince gimped the squad first, but obviously that chuck of burning vehicle hit his soft spot and weakened the foul beast.

That is the end of turn three and I stop. We are being drummed 13-2, originally I thought it was 12-2, but I forgot the second Sanguinary Priest. Yup 13-2 this is the worst beating I have taken.

Annotations

There was nothing but poor rolling going our part all night. Math/Statistic Hammer followers can go screw. This game is proof positive that that stuff is meaningless! From the opening deep strike scatter to all the failed attacks and saves, it was Greek Tragedy level bad rolling. Evey safe shot missed or did no damage. Every combat that was in our favor failed.

This is the type of game that makes me want to quit playing 40K. Seriously 13-2 is a drumming!
I lose a lot as do most people when they are teamed up with me, but this was just disgustingly awful. Playing for fun is my gaol, but nothing about that game was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment