Friday, October 19, 2018

Dust 1947


I have had the chance to get about six games of Dust 1947 in lately.
The more I play, the more I really like this game.
The rules are light for a tabletop combat game.
There are no crazy stat blacks/ abilities to memorize for units.
Game size of 50 points is easy to field, easy to transport and the game that size plays quick. Yes I know 100 points is the "proper" game size, but we are  not there.....yet.
Every army has the same dice chance when rolling to hit and save. A simple 1/3 or 2/3 to hit and save from being hit.
The wyrd WWII setting is stupid fun too!
My Tanya and Magda foot sloggers
I have been rolling with my Mercenaries/ Busty ladies with flamethrowers and grenade launchers. I haven’t painted enough not-Nazi zombies and armed gorillas to get a 50 point army together….yet.
Gregor and his "Wrecking Crew"
I have been facing off against the German Fallschirmjäger (paratroopers) and or the U.S.M.C.

I have had equally good and bad games against both. The airdropping Germans can bring a withering amount of fire to the tabletop. Very few infantry units can stand against the amount of dice rolled when they unload their machine guns. Thank the gods for cover saves!

When they airdrop I tend to fair better against them as my ladies can mob up on them in small clusters and melt their faces. When they walk onto the board and turtle-up I usually don’t survive as long.
The U.S.M.C. are a tough  nut to crack too. The list I face are very close range and they do it better than my close range army. The games against them are very brutal and fast as their shotguns and flame thrower troops are an equal match to my grenade and flamethrower troops. Plus their support weapons and rifle squads can put down some good covering fire too. Thankfully, they don’t have many walkers to field….yet.



I have also starter using Gregor the Defector, a giant armored gorilla with an autocannon. He is damn fun and a real pain for my opponent, especially if my dice are hot. See not only is he a miniature multi-wound soldier, but he is also tough as nails. He gets the ability to negate damage  1/3 of the time. I have no faith in 1/3 ( the old bogus never make when I need it 40K 5+ invulnerable save roll) chance when rolling. However….the last two times I ran Gregor I was rolling lights out and made 21 of 25 of these saves. We kept a count because it laughable how many times Gregor shook off damage. Yeah I still have no faith in the 1/3 chance to save. These two games with him will be the exception and not the rule. Plus he is a big ape with an autocannon who can soak and deal out some descent damage to boot. Easily my new favorite model to field with the mercenary ladies.
Dust 1947/ Dust Tactics/ Paolo Parente's Dust has surpassed every other tabletop miniature combat game for me now. It is much faster, much less convoluted, more fun and much more brutal than: 40K, Warmachine/Hordes and Infinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment