Friday, April 20, 2018

Monsters: Slimes, Molds, Goops, Gleeps and Yuck

A group of monsters that I never really take advantage of: the oozes, slimes, jellies, goops, globs and the like.
I always liked this concept of slime monsters from World o' Warcraft.
Why not transfer this to D&D?


Every edition has these gloopy monsters and I think ,many of them, they are as iconic as goblins and orcs. I mean green slime, yellow mold and gelatinous cubes have been there forever. Yet I really don’t bother with using them, well unless you count one occurrence with a grey ooze, a cleric of Bane and a 1st edition module………….


So why no love from me?

Well they aren’t really cool or fun. They just gloop and glop around the game. They are pretty boring as a monster. I mean they can be easily avoided. Well unless you force the party to have to deal with it in a blind hallway/locked room type scenario, but that is kind of a dick move to use against your party just to shoehorn in a slime creature.

They are usually lone gunman encounters too. I mean it isn’t like you can have the party face a horde of slimes, molds or jellies. That would be stupid. So, they are easy to ignore and avoid. This is common when I have thrown them out for the party to face. Sure, I almost caught our dragonborn rouge with a gelatinous cube full of shiny objects, but the rest of the party pulled him back to safety and then avoided it. Yeah, avoidance of these evil puddles is too easy, so they make for a drek random encounter.

These amorphous blobs of goop confuse my players too. They never know if they eat metal, eat flesh or both. They have no idea about their strengths and weaknesses either. They are kind of an enigma. I think that is a problem for most player groups. They just generally scare and confuse the party and this just leads to them once again being avoided.


It is hard to base a game around a big pile of pudding. I mean you can work a game or campaign with a ton of monsters as the threat. How do you make an entire game about a threat from yellow mold or ochre jelly? Even if you did how do you make it fun? I have never come up with a scenario that wouldn’t end with the party just leaving to do something else instead.



There is no charisma there. We are more of a roll playing group with a smattering of role playing. Still there is always that bit of banter and bad impressions for a lot of enemies. What witty banter can a pile of slime give? How does a ooze give a diatribe before attacking the party? I mean outside of some gurgly fart noise there is nothing for a slime or ooze to say?

They have a very niche feel like low level dungeon crawl encounter. After about three or four levels they seem pretty useless as a potential/viable threat. Well without making them gigundus for the sake of making them gigundus so they can be a threat. Well, outside of trapping the party with them ( same dick move as above ) or  a threat that will be avoided (I can’t say this enough can I) anyway.

I would love to use these gloops and glops more often, but they are just over shadowed so much by other monsters. Then there is the fact they can be easily avoided. Hell, the party can safely flee by slowly waking away. I mean what kind of hazard is that? I guess these are iconic monsters ( personal opinion ) that I can just never use effectively with forcing an encounter. That means the mobile goo puddles and spore producing molds are just left wanting.


I love The Blob and the remake movie, but it doesn’t translate to my D&D games.

Next is a long favorite of mine. An amalgam of avian and ursine. The owlbear!


No comments:

Post a Comment