Thursday, April 5, 2018

Adepticon 2018 final thoughts

Another year and another load of stuff I played and saw.

What jumped out that I didn’t get to try?
What was pretty or amazing to look at?

The Narrative Guys
This ground runs narrative 40K games that look stupid awesome and fun to play.
This year it was a 40K version of the movie/novel/real event  Black Hawk Down. A crashed Imperial Fist Thunderhawk has a crew that need resucing. The city it crashed in is full of chaos cultists and marines. The crew has to hold out while a task force of Rhinos travels to rescue them.

I talked to the guys running this game for a bit and they are pretty awesome! They get that games can and should be fun. They were burned out of the competitive game scene and started this little group to play some great story driven games using established rules sets. I really need to try and get into their game next year.

Frost Grave
A not Mordheim, but totally Mordheim game and setting. They were running a big game on a sweet frozen city table. It looks like a pretty standard squad skirmish game. It looked interesting enough for  me to watch for a few turns. If only I had infinite money and time to invest in other games like this.

Freeblades
Another small tabletop skirmish game set in a fantasy world. It looked like there were  multiple factions to play. It looked like a more narrative D&D type skirmish game. The missions had more of a gaming theme than a go grab the objective feel of almost every other table top mini game. I guess they play this both narrative and competitive. I would have liked to get a demo but sadly when I had time they did not. I have seen these guys the last three years, but never looked too closely. It looks like they building a good little community around this game too.  Sadly, this is another infinite time and money game for me.

CAV and Battletech
CAV was back in the spotlight again. I remember when Reaper Minis was pimping this game. The game play was a bit iffy, but the mechs were pretty. It looks like the models are all platic/resin now instead of metal. They had a big table and were running games over the weekend. It still has a playing card bit to play. Maybe it is more like Malifaux and their deck of cards instead of dice mechanic. I didn’t see dice while people were playing.

There was a weekend long Battletech game going as well. I had tried to register for that but it was full by the time I got online. It looked to be a good introduction type game/event. Cool to see some proper giant stompy robot gaming over the weekend. A nice refresher from 40K, Sigmar’s Age, and Warmachine/Hordes and Malifaux.




Speaking of Privateer Press and Malifaux
This year they shared a room and room for their games. This was different as they always had their own space due to numbers. It also seemed like there were less people playing these two games. Now maybe I was always passing by between tourney rounds or the big games were over and it was more “free” play. Still it looked like less of these player bases than the two previous years. Just my opinion.

40K , Sigmar, X- wing or the big tournaments
It is still a very GW and now X-wing tournament weekend. Sure there are many other games running, but these three games had big player turnouts. You know like they do every year.
There were some very pretty Sigmar armies and some just horrible 40K lists I would never want to face off against. Even the 40K “Friendly” tournament had some just disgusting army lists on the table. Not sure how “friendly” they were, but I am tow editions out of that game.
Speaking of Sigmar I did see some boardgame called Shadespire being played. It looked like a mash of Age o’ Sigmar, a board game and possibly a (collcetabile?) card game. I will have to look deeper into that as it looks like a descent starter board game and skirmish game combined.

Does anyone play Wild West Exodus? I see them here and at GenCon, but never seen or hear about anyone playing this game?
Eden still had great models and a small amount needed to play. However, I am not a fan of their game system.
The same goes for Mantic and their 40K clone and their Walking Dead ( based on the comics ) game. Anyone know anyone who plays these or any Mantic games?
What happened to the Gates of Antares game?
Dark Age is another system with interesting models, but do they have a player base and if so where?

Whatever enough rambling.

Adepticon 2018 is in the books. It was a good time and I spent more money than I ever thought I would. I am a fan of Dust 1947. I know at least one family member will enjoy that too.

If you are a tabletop mini wargamer and have not attended then why not? If you are within a few hours of Chicago and play war games then why have you not checked this out? It is FREE to go. It only costs $$$$ if you are playing in events. Anyone can come look, buy and demo games. That is what makes this convention pretty damn cool. Go next year. Even if only for a day. Check out the games and models! Gwak at the Crystal Brush competiton! Meet some people! Find a new game to gush over!

I am calling all of you gamers out!
Stop being lazy and get in the car!
Spend a day walking around there!
It is completely worth your time if you have a true love of tiny toy soldiers and their games!
If you can easily get to and yet choose not to go check out Adepticon in 2019, then how can you really call yourself a tabletop mini gamer?

No comments:

Post a Comment