Monday, November 5, 2012

Flatcon 2012 pics and musings, a bit late


It is a bit late...but here are some musings from the "local" gaming thingy this year.

I popped over to see the 40K double team tourney.........

The allies rulebook graph,chart, matrix or what have you was kind of in effect here. It really only bothered one team though.Allies that fall under "Come the Apocalypse" were treated as "Desperate Allies" instead. 
Why anyone would take anything other than battle brothers or nothing to a tournament is beyond me. If half your team cannot score and has to stay away from the other half, or is de-buffed by wargear then I see little use. I could go on about the ally thing, but that is for a later date.

Some random army pics from some teams.......

Traitors and Wolves, meh. At least they have two Basilisks!

Necrons and Eldar
Nice last minute defense line there guys.


Fun things I witnessed.............

Very dice heavy Guard shooting phases here, or"Run at us and take the pain!"
A Runepreist with the re-roll to hit Divination power + a two strong Leman Russ Punisher squad (with heavy bolter sponsons) = very damn effective! A crap load of strength 5 zipping down range and wiping a 20 Necron Warrior squad in one salvo.

Later on the same lupine psyker uses the re-roll to hit Divination power + 30 some odd Imperial Guardsmen in a combined squad + "First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire!" + 12" lasgun range = just sick vs. troops on foot. I don't care that they are only lasguns. That is 90-ish shots with a beautiful re-roll to hit. Who care if you need 5's to wound when you have 70+ chances (which is how many hits they had after re-rolling misses) to wound.

Almost every team had a Aegis Defense Line. One team had that plus an Imperial Bastion. One team had no fortifications and I cheer them. Way to be unique in a copy and paste 40K universe.
A Bastion and a Defense Line...40K SimCity?

There were very few fliers: two Night Scythes in two separate armies, and three Vendettas in two separate Guard armies. So, kudos on the defense lines boys, the quad guns were not really needed to wreck fliers.

A Tau army with Stealth Suits! Stealth Suits! I love Stealth Suits!

TheTau need more bodies on the ground to take advantage of the ..you guessed it...Aegis Defense Line.
A Tau army with zero Kroot! At last someone who knows how bad those things suck!

Colossus Seige Mortars make all Astartes just disappear.

Only one army with Thunderwolves and they got blasted to cinders pretty consistently (mortars, Lootas, Basilisks, even Eldar ninja star guns). I'm not sure that a tricked out Wolf Lord and five more kitted out Thunderwolves was a good distraction investment. Guess it is just me, but seeing them vanish or hit a target without substantial numbers for an effective combat is sad. A ton of points (especially when you only have 1250 points in the list) that probably could have been spent on other space werewolf things. Especially, when teamed up with a very effective Guard gunline.

Very converted Ork Warbikes
There was zero Chaos. That was the sad thing. I guess they are too new? Maybe the players there had no Chaos armies at home? Their is no "go to" internet Chaos list yet? Who knows? It was a bit disappointing to see the bad Space Marines not in attendance.

The lack of Grey Knights was also pleasant. A great army ruined by two overused units and the internet.

There was a much smaller showing than the previous years. Maybe the Sunday singles tournament had stronger participation?

I also need to make sure my camera batteries are charged fully or I bring a second set....since I missed a lot of photos.

Here are a few of the other things I saw and stuff.......



I really like the Hellpit Abomination and am really fighting the urge to buy one. I have no real use for it.
The same goes for the Giant Squigg Hopper. These are a reason why the Night Goblins appeal to me.

 No idea what this is. but it was in a Chaos Dwarf army and it drew my attention with it's look.

S.D. Pliscan made an appearance in some zombie survival type game. Will look to see if I can find this model as I love me some Escape From New York!

















No comments:

Post a Comment