Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Monthly book roundup


A quick hit of the books I read this month.



Arthas : Rise of the Lich King

Well diving back into fantasy I grabbed this little novel. Feels like a 100 years now since I originally played the Lich King/Northrend expansion on World of Warcraft. Looking back I should have read this before playing it. It would have made the events, story, missions and dungeons make a ton more sense to me.

The story of the rise and fall of Arthas Menethil is damn descent. There is a bit about Thrall and the orcs. It touches on the blood elves. There is Sylvanas and the undead. The whole lot about the whys, whats and hows of Northrend. It was a damn fun read!

I would say a must read for any fan of the MMORPG.









Vampire of the Mists

A novel based in the D&D realm of Ravenloft. An elf vampire, Jander Sunshine/Sunbeam/Sunstar or something like that, is transported to not Transylvania and meets not Dracula, Strahd von Zarovich. Here they become Odd Couple like buddies for decades  while exploring the Ravenloft realm. Jander is much like Jonathon Harker in the original Bram Stoker Dracula tale.

While this is not great and semi-predictable, it gives some insight into the 2nd edition D&D locale that was underused and late to the game.






Cabal

 

The Clive barker book that the movie Nightbreed was made about.

Boone is a guy confused. His therapist might be a serial killer. Midian is where the monsters live. Boone is/ or isn’t a monster. There is some blood and sexy time. It is Cabal/Nightbreed.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the movie, but the book had to be better. Right?

I mean the same main characters were there. The main events were similar. There was some great horror imagery and some stuff to disturb the “normies.” It just was never super awesome or super terrible either. I guess this is a case of the book being about equal to the film in terms of meh!.

I just was expecting a much better experience with Boone and Midian than what I received.


No comments:

Post a Comment