Monday, November 10, 2014

5th D&D game thoughts and a licorice bitch.

Well after a turn with 5th edition D&D I don’t hate it. It does make it more fun when I am using my own created character and not a pre-generated.


The warlock is the typical spell slinger with a twist. They have fewer available spell slots. So that meant a lot of cantrip eldritch blast was thrown around the place. Actually I was really ok with that. Being able to cast a D10+4 lightning bolt every turn is pretty sweet! Speaking of spell slots, warlocks have a to cast spells at their highest level. That means if I want to toss out a hellish rebuke (a 1st level spell) I have to cast it as a 2nd level spell. This is alright since it does more damage that way. I guess there is some trade with the lower amount of spell slots and the fact all spells must be max level for warlocks. It makes them more than just another wizard with a different hat/robe. Plus warlocks get a lot of cantrip options and that is fun. It gives me the chance to grab a few quick cast damage spells and some utility spells that would probably never take otherwise.




Now throw in the fun ability of gaining temporary hit points when an enemy is killed by my guy. This is where it got silly. When I was blasting goblins to tiny bits every one that died kept me alive longer. How awesome is that? Well against rabble it is very awesome! Every creature that fell before me had me drinking life essence like Skeksis from a Podling, or had me gaining 7 temporary hit points. These are taken first when damage is accrued. They also stay until you stop and  have a rest period. So…that means after cutting a swath through the goblin ranks, my warlock had 38 temporary hit points. Pretty sweet for a guy who should never be in melee combat. It also helps to have a rocking constitution bonus and being leveled to 3rd before the game started.

dc94

The game was a blast. Thanks to some wonderfully rolling (and taking pity after a barrage of natural 20's) by the DM, some abysmal rolling by us, a nonchalant walk up to an “abandoned” castle, a monk who was just not fast enough to escape a trap and alarm, and a hallway fight that had the cleric doing multiple battlefield triage; the party almost bought the farm. I had a grick fall on my head! How awesome is that!? It was a good time, even if I had no idea who we were after or why. It didn’t matter to me, I was just happy to be included.

Now the real crux of the night was the fact that single wrapped twizzlers exist! Who the frak wants to unwrap a single twizzler? Who can eat just one delicious piece of red licorice? Who thinks this is a gem of an idea? NOBODY THAT IS WHO! The term licorice bitch was coined as the person who had to unwrap multiple pieces of this delicious candy between their turn to appease the DM. I have added this term to the lexicon and hope everyone else does as well.

I have to say I am not unhappy with this character and class after one outing. I  think I’ll roll up a melee guy as well. Not that the party needs it with the bonkers fast and killy elf monk, or with the wildly inaccurate human fighter. Just saying that another sword arm might be appreciated. The big choice will be either a barbarian or a shape shifting melee druid.

Now away to the player’s handbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment