Monday, April 14, 2014

My Warmachine force decisions.



Well now that I have a burgeoning Hordes force, it is time I branch out to the punchy robot side of the Iron Kingdoms. I need to make me a Warmachine force.

The first question is which army to use?




Well there is Cygnar, but they are the “good” guys. It looks like a lot of shooting units and that is interesting. The only warcaster that appeals to me is Haley. I The rest do nothing for me, visually. The warjack aesthetic is descent. Especially the Cyclone. A gatling gun is great, but two is even better! The Ironclad looks fun with his punchy fist and smashy hammer. The units are sort of meh!  for me though. They seem to have a lot of lightning units, attacks and abilities. Lightning is ok, but not really my bag. This faction is also really blue.


I have to pass because they are the “good” guys and I just cannot support that.  I also don’t want to paint that much quasi-Ultramarine blue.





Menoth is the “holy” army. They seem more like religious zealots or fanatics. Setting things on fire is their forte and I can get behind that! The Reclaimer looks awesome! It is just too bad that is as far as I’m going. I’m not a fan of the look of their units and warjacks. Their white color scheme is also an instant stop. I hate painting white, especially a whole army of it. They might be awesome, but I’ll never know.

Mercenaries are a sub faction that can either be sprinkled about or a full force. There is just too much stuff here and it feels like a giant buffet. We have dwarves, pirates, vinyl body suit evil surgeons, and more. Too much to wade through and I’ll pass. Much like a buffet I’d fill up on junk and leave feeling bloated and uncomfortable.

Maybe the dwarven bit of the mercs , since I have a painted Gorten already. Still, they have a lot of expensive metal units and only one warjack, the Basher, that is appealing. As pass for now, but maybe someday dwarves, or Rhulic force.

Retribution is the elf faction. I’m out here too. The giant armor pants, mittens and off white color scheme are game breakers. Plus their warjacks just look too wyrd.  Angry nation of Elves you are not even in the running. Plus I have had it with a old and dying nation of elves who are angry at everyone.

Khador are the non-Russian Russians. They have a great look and seem very tough, but slow. Kharchev and The Butcher jump right to the front for warcasters. I love the look of these two guys! One is a warjack on his own. The other is a psycho with a giant axe! The warjacks are big bulky and nonsense: like the Juggernaught, the Devastator and Marauder. They very look imposing on the tabletop. Doomreavers look awesome! So does a shield wall formation of Iron Fang. Then there are the Man-O-War suits. They look like mini-warjacks on the table. How cool is that?

Yeah, Khador is definitely in the running. Sure there is a metric ton of red to paint, but I’ve done that before and on a larger level.

Finally is the Cryx, or the scary dead faction. How can I not like skulls and spikes on everything. Hell, the majority of their warcasters are undead! Asphyxious, Mortenebra and the Witch Coven all look great! Slayers, Seethers, Deathrippers and Cankerworms are the warjacks I keep looking at. Overseers, Bloat Thralls, Necrotechs, Mechani- and Brute Thralls all have the “Ian!!! Use us!” look about them. Plus they are an army of undead and creepy units. That is right in my wheelhouse. Hell the majority of the faction is black and metallic with some rust. That is crazy easy to paint!

Yeah I guess it isn’t a difficult decision. It has to be the Nightmare Empire of Cryx. If not, I’d only be lying to myself. Undead, skulls, black, creepy; how could I not pick them? However, I could see a Khador force in my future since they have a lot of models I like too.

Now off to the Sharde Isles I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment