Thursday, January 17, 2013

Prospero Burns is done.


After finishing A Thousand Sons, I dove into the follow up/ continuation/ concurrently running, Prospero Burns. This is the other side of the Thousand Son-Space Wolf conflict. Well that is what I was lead to believe...........

I was informed of one story and what I received was another. This novel was not the concurrent/follow up that I was expecting. It was really something different. It wasn’t a bad different, just kind of a downer different.




It took just over 300 pages to get me really interested in the events of this novel. It did not feel like some great tension building or a mystery, it was more like scenery painting and cool descriptions than actual story. Once I was in the 300's then my interest peaked as I was finally being shown the real meat of the story. Sadly it took that long to get there. The final 100+ pages are full of great stuff and was more of what I wanted and expected!
There were some good parts, like.........
  • How each Primarch and chapter has a specific purpose, or a single facet of a larger gem (I love analogies!)
  • The other side of the Nikea Council
  • The revealing of Horus' fall (again) and what wasn't done to stop it
  • What the hell was going on with Hawser finally coming to light
  • How the Wolves are and aren't who they say they are
  • The one-sided conversation with Magnus (albeit short) was great
  • "There are no wolves on Fenris." and how this is open to interpretation, a mystery and explained all at the same time
This could have been 150-175 pages lighter on cool descriptions and instead full of more substance. This is not the worst of the Heresy novels by far, but it left me with a real feeling of blah! It could easily be skipped in the grand scheme that is the Horus Heresy series though. It saddens me to say that since it is Dan Abnett and I am a big fan of his 40K novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment