Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer, one month in (G.W. gaming centric)

Well here is the end of June/ beginning of July, on month of summer gone.

It looks like the skies are still pretty clear. So was this G.W. super summer of awesome flying machines a hoax? Was it the interweb confusing a rumor for fact? Was it simply put back a few months? We are still waiting. There is July, August and September left so there is plenty of summer left for shooty sci-fi plane death. I am still skeptical this thing will happen in summer 2011.

The Sisters of Battle are to get a White Dwarf codex like Blood Angels did a while back. So that means I'll wait for a downloadable copy via G.W.'s website. Hopefully the 14 Sisters players out there will be happy. I wonder if the model range is getting the Finecast treatment? Last I knew these were off store shelves and direct order/web order only. This looks to be another army band aid until a proper book can be released, much like Dark Angels and Templars. Their FAQ made a few players happy, but didn't fix the fact they both need new books. The same will go for the Sisters. White Dwarf will make them playable and maybe even competitive, but they need a proper book and plastic models to garner any real respect.



There is the new Storm of Magic for Fantasy being released. I am impressed with the scenery kits they are releasing for this expansion, or Fantasy Apocalypse. A few of them might make it a table near me someday. The new monster models are sort of meh. Although, the Cockatrice could make an interesting Tzeech Prince conversion.

Then there was the two weeks I spent away from my favorite blog sites. Why? Well there was a 40K 6th edition rumor and the computer world went nuts.The response was like a new codex release rumor on a steroid and meth cocktail. I stayed the hell away from it all. I was told about it and saw posts, but ignored them. It is too bad so many others didn't do the same.

I abhor rumors. Maybe I'm just getting long in the tooth, but I have no time to suffer fools and their stories of the future. I also cannot stand the instant credibility they seem to get because someone, who knows someone who was right about a unit in the second from last codex release, read a leaked copy/ PDF of the 6th ed. rulebook.  

40K internet rumors always remind me of the scene in Dark Knight with the Joker and Harvey Dent in the hospital. Seriously watch it and insert 40K rules or codex rumors into the conversation. Have you done it yet? See how it relates to the interweb 40K rumor stuff....The Joker is the internet rumor mill and Harvey Dent is someone who loves internet gossip/rumors (you know who you are). It might go something like this...

The Joker: Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just... do things. G.W. has plans, Popular 40k/gaming site have plans, some random 40k blogger name got plans. You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So, when I say... Ah, come here.
[takes Dent's hand into his own]
The Joker: When I say that you and your favorite tabletop game you have a love hate relationship with was nothing personal, you know that I'm telling the truth. It's the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had army/ codex plans, and look where that got you.
[Dent tries to grab the Joker]
The Joker: I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few leaked rumors and a couple read PDF pages. Hmmm? You know... You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the interweb that, like, a Space Wolf army won a tournament, or an Ultramarine book/movie/game is being made, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan." But when I say that 6th edition has been viewed and details listed, well then everyone loses their minds!
...... yeah it might go something like that.

If people stop giving these things attention they might go away, hell by posting this I have probably given these rumors more power. There will be a 6th edition someday and there will be new army books on the horizon. That is a fact we can all believe. It is not if it is when. Why get all worked up over what might be? When it comes out then decide; either play it or don't. Screaming about rumored changes does nothing. Boxing up your stuff and walking away from an unknown new 40K edition because of what some guy on the internet says to be true is ridiculous. Worrying about what new codex is the next and how unbeatable it is does nothing. Relax and let the chips or in this case dice fall where they may. Enjoy playing 40k now and stop worrying about 40K's gaming future.

The summer continues..........

No comments:

Post a Comment